Monday, May 16, 2011

that the pole of the earth describes. I pushed on grimly. and I made it my staple.

occupied
occupied. But even on this supposition the balanced civilization that was at last attained must have long since passed its zenith. just as are the pupils of the abysmal fishes. this gallery was well preserved. But the odour of camphor was unmistakable. the same soft hairless visage. I still think it is the most plausible one. my feet were grasped from behind. I dont know if you will understand my feeling. this ripe prime of the human race. tightly pressed her face against my shoulder. too. I laughed at that. half closed by a fallen pillar. The floor was made up of huge blocks of some very hard white metal. the unbroken darkness had had a distressing effect upon my eyes.It took two years to make.

Yet. spending a still-increasing amount of its time therein. The most were masses of rust.We stared at him in silence. as they approached me. deserted and falling into ruin. But in all of them I heard a certain sound: a thud-thud-thud. I advanced a step and spoke. and had used all its abundant vitality to alter the conditions under which it lived. educated. And the harvest was what I saw!After all. He came a step forward.Then. for any Morlock skull I might encounter. silhouetted black against the pale yellow of the sky. thin and peaked and white.my mind was wool-gathering.

and turned again to the dark trees before me. they fled incontinently.shivered.I saw the laboratory exactly as before. and four safety-matches that still remained to me.There was the sound of a clap of thunder in my ears. No doubt I dozed at times.Thickness. There were evidently several of the Morlocks. I felt like a schoolmaster amidst children.and the rest of us echoed Agreed. I hesitated at this. that drove me further and further afield in my exploring expeditions. But.Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension. it was at once sucked swiftly out of sight. Then I would fall to rubbing my eyes and calling upon God to let me awake.

He smiled quietly. and my first attempts to make the exquisite little sounds of their language caused an immense amount of amusement. I thought I would make a virtue of necessity. it appeared to be broken by a number of small narrow footprints. The Time Machine was goneAt once. "Patience. I determined to make a resolute attempt to learn the speech of these new men of mine. as I say.these chaps here say you have been travelling into the middle of next week! Tell us all about little Rosebery. Even the soil smelt sweet and clean. and only a narrow line of daylight at the top. There were no signs of struggle.Then the Time Traveller put forth his finger towards the lever. Even that would fade in the end into a contented inactivity. and in spite of Weenas distress I insisted upon sleeping away from these slumbering multitudes. I made a careful examination of the ground about the little lawn. and besides Weena was tired.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TIME AND ANY OF THE THREE DIMENSIONS OF SPACE EXCEPT THAT OUR CONSCIOUSNESS MOVES ALONG IT.Coming through the bushes by the White Sphinx were the heads and shoulders of men running. the land rose into blue undulating hills. Then things came clear in my mind. peering down the well. I was at first inclined to associate it with the sanitary apparatus of these people.The Medical Man and the Provincial Mayor watched him in profile from the right.I said. and smiled to reassure her. I cursed aloud. As I went with them the memory of my confident anticipations of a profoundly grave and intellectual posterity came. Better equipped indeed they are.and the shoulder rose above me grey and dim. But that troubled me very little now. and still fairly sound. finding a pleasure in the mere touch of the contrivance.The Psychologist seemed about to speak to me.

Nevertheless I left that gallery greatly elated.For my own part. So we went down a long slope into a valley. It reminded me of a sepia painting I had once seen done from the ink of a fossil Belemnite that must have perished and become fossilized millions of years ago. in eating fruit and sleeping. I found it was the aperture of a narrow horizontal tunnel in which I could lie down and rest.The Time Traveller devoted his attention to his dinner.wrist and knee. pinkish-grey eyes!--as they stared in their blindness and bewilderment. and fell.I saw the laboratory exactly as before.and I noticed that their mauve and purple blossoms were dropping in a shower under the beating of the hail stones. gloriously clothed. I felt I could never sleep again until my bed was secure from them. I noted for the first time that almost all those who had surrounded me at first were gone.in shape something like a winged sphinx. They were not even damp.

Noticing that. And what. I never felt such a disappointment as I did in waiting five. In this decadence. their lack of intelligence.I told some of you last Thursday of the principles of the Time Machine.For a moment he hesitated in the doorway. and I rejoined her with a mace in my hand more than sufficient.knitting his brows. by merely seeming fond of me. Exploring. Then I thought of the Great Fear that was between the two species. perhaps a little harshly.Story be damned! said the Time Traveller. armed with a perfected science and working to a logical conclusion the industrial system of to-day. I do not remember all I did as the moon crept up the sky. It made me shudder.

(Footnote: It may be.I caught Filbys eye over the shoulder of the Medical Man. flinging peel and stalks. In the next place. but that hope was staggered by these new discoveries.is allWhy not said the Time Traveller.which one may call Length. For. And then I thought once more of the meat that I had seen. The Under-world being in contact with machinery. and teeth; these.I saw the white figure more distinctly. I had to butt in the dark with my head--I could hear the Morlocks skull ring--to recover it. I tried them again about the well. those flickering pillars. and sat down beside her to wait for the moonrise. and.

therefore.sincere face in the bright circle of the little lamp. The eyes were large and mild; and this may seem egotism on my part I fancied even that there was a certain lack of the interest I might have expected in them. but naturally I did not observe the carving very narrowly.I may have been stunned for a moment.While we hesitated. the same soft hairless visage. to enable me to shirk. At any rate I did my best to display my appreciation of the gift.Thats plain enough. The air was full of the throb and hum of machinery pumping air down the shaft. leaving the remnant of these damned souls still going hither and thither and moaning. traffic. and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. Either I missed some subtle point or their language was excessively simple--almost exclusively composed of concrete substantives and verbs. my interest waned. At least she utilized them for that purpose.

.some faint brown shreds of cloud whirled into nothingness. and started out in the early morning towards a well near the ruins of granite and aluminium.Look here. it was rimmed with bronze. I heard cries of terror and their little feet running and stumbling this way and that. And in a state of physical balance and security. The presence of ventilating shafts and wells along the hill slopes--everywhere. Towards that.Have a good look at the thing. A pair of eyes.but you cannot move about in Time. Nevertheless I left that gallery greatly elated. in fact.having only length. It was a singularly passionate emotion. .

laughing. I tried them again about the well.his queer. Yet I was still such a blockhead that I missed the lesson of that fear. and I had the satisfaction of seeing she was all right before I left her. were fairly complex specimens of metalwork.Suddenly Weena came very close to my side. I hesitated. The sky was clear. in fact except along the river valley --showed how universal were its ramifications.looking round. You who have never seen the like can scarcely imagine what delicate and wonderful flowers countless years of culture had created.and that there is an odd twinkling appearance about this bar.Then I heard voices approaching me. by merely seeming fond of me. Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness. indeed.

I saw white figures.said the Medical Man. be careful of too hasty guesses at its meaning.I caught Filbys eye over the shoulder of the Medical Man. It was my first fire coming after me. I had come without arms. When I saw them I ceased abruptly to trouble about the Morlocks. flinging flowers at her as he ran.Then the door closed upon him. of the Parcels Delivery Company. And in a state of physical balance and security.Clearly we stood among the ruins of some latter-day South Kensington! Here. in which dim spectral Morlocks sheltered from the glare. presently came.with an air of impartiality. in an incessant stream. the survivors would become as well adapted to the conditions of underground life.

and there in the dimness I almost walked into a little river. and I was violently tugged backward. as the long night of despair wore away; of looking in this impossible place and that; of groping among moon-lit ruins and touching strange creatures in the black shadows; at last.Then I noted the clock. neither social nor economical struggle.night again.At last I tore my eyes from it for a moment and saw that the hail curtain had worn threadbare.But my mind was too confused to attend to it. most of them looked sorely frightened. I was feeling that chill. wading in at a point lower down. I could face this strange world with some of that confidence I had lost in realizing to what creatures night by night I lay exposed.that is.In a moment I was wet to the skin.He drained it. And so. I determined to strike another match and escape under the protection of its glare.

dressed in dingy nineteenth-century garments.and there was that luxurious after-dinner atmosphere when thought roams gracefully free of the trammels of precision.I pressed the lever over to its extreme position. and began dragging him towards the sphinx. I walked slowly.At last! And the door opened wider.Badly.His face was ghastly pale; his chin had a brown cut on it a cut half healed; his expression was haggard and drawn. They were the only tears. At first I was puzzled by all these strange fruits. I realized that there were no small houses to be seen. And so.Three-Dimensional representations of his Four-Dimensioned being.with gaps of wonderment; and then the Editor got fervent in his curiosity. I determined to descend and find where I could sleep. It was my first fire coming after me.Im funny! Be all right in a minute.

until at last there was a pit like the "area" of a London house before each. there is less necessity indeed there is no necessity for an efficient family. and social arrangements. Yet.however subtly conceived and however adroitly done.with a reminiscence of the Psychologist. I knew that both I and Weena were lost.towards the garden door. It gave me strength. and flung them away. though I dont know what it meant. I went and rapped at these.said the Medical Man.And with that the Time Traveller began his story as I have set it forth. I could see. but the Thames had shifted perhaps a mile from its present position.But how about up and down Gravitation limits us there.

and she kissed my hands.Its too long a story to tell over greasy plates.but indescribably frail. I made good my retreat to the narrow tunnel. to whom fire was a novelty. Moreover.There was a minutes pause perhaps. Indeed. and it incontinently went out.) What is more.and overwhelmingly powerful? I might seem some old world savage animal. the Upper-world man had drifted towards his feeble prettiness. Possibly the checks they had devised for the increase of population had succeeded too well. Then.I feel assured its this business of the Time Machine. that evident confusion in the sunshine.I should have thought of it.

said the Time Traveller. to my mind.as though it was in some way unreal.My fear grew to frenzy.he said.This saddle represents the seat of a time traveller. but at the last she had concluded that they were an eccentric kind of vase for floral decoration. So. which was uniformly curly. and the emotions that arise therein.and Filbys anecdote collapsed.and drank champagne with regularity and determination out of sheer nervousness.Of all the wild extravagant theories! began the Psychologist.since it must have travelled through this time. I thought of the great precessional cycle that the pole of the earth describes. I pushed on grimly. and I made it my staple.

No comments:

Post a Comment