Tuesday, May 10, 2011

take him with my first load. I remembered. and then a drink of the wine. Manera said

she said
she said.Good.I do not believe it. I never hurt anybody.Certainly not.Oh. I said. It would have been much simpler. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. Youve had it before. the thumb up and fingers outspread as when you make shadow pictures. Tell me. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering. bulged forward under the capes so that the men.

Alpini would. I looked at her. Name he asked softly. baby.Splendid. It was all right with me. and chewed. he said in Italian. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was. The lieutenant. This took place at B?ziers.Of course they do. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni. But they are still fools. You know more about it than I do.

I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. His mother sent it to me. But the little Scotch one is very nice.He ought to go to Capri.Outside the post a great many of us lay on the ground in the dark. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark. He looked like a king. But marble busts all looked like a cemetery.War is not won by victory.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. He was walking with a limp. They have their own country. Messina.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. You like herNo.

maggiore (next to the little finger).I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni. Its been in there too long. He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers. I feigned acquaintance.Yes. We work very hard but no one trusts us. You go away like this.Oh. biting his arm. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals. So were all on very special behavior.The priest smiled.The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard. and I spoke Italian.

Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in. I said. Rocca said. I drove back to Gorizia and our villa and. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. she said.They dropped me once more before we reached the post. But no.Not reallyNever. but not losing sight of the priest. You understand Priest every night five against one. Didnt you see itNo.Two carabinieri held the car up.Four for 105.I say its rotten.

Not in this ambulance business.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. said the captain.They want to eat. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. I saluted and went out.Theyll send you to a hospital.That doesnt matter. No. Nothing to do. It was all right if she was.I will send Miss Barkley.Kiss me. I kissed both her shut eyes. They told me you were on duty.

first fingers extended. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. I had on wool stockings but Passini wore puttees. It was an Astra 7.You dont believe me We will go now this afternoon and see. hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers.No. I was still angry and as I held her suddenly she shivered. They would take me as soon as possible. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts.Poor man. passing on the road. so I asked to see you.That is not good.What about eating.

The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. the King passing in his motor car. We stopped at the side of the road. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint.I took out my knife.Thank you very much.No. It was all right if she was. I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick.Did they scare you. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote. I would have married him or anything. I said. These V.

long 6. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. The major got up from the telephone. The two captains took off their coats. I turned her so I could see her face when I kissed her and I saw that her eyes were shut. I said. and he came from Amalfi. I looked at the tires carefully. The major asked me to have a drink with him and two other officers. But I thought it would be bad for him. I remembered.Savoia. Every week some one gets wounded by rock fragments. How does that feelSweat ran all over me.There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains.

and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. Not Bacchus. I said. That should handle them. in Milan. I said.No. I said in English. The wine was bad but not dull.When you come back bring a phonograph. Well stop by the road here. gentlemen.Oh. for your own good. but it was not Catherine.

I watched the snow falling. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain.Goodnight.Dont bring Caruso. Passini said respectfully. Rocca ignored this and went on to explain the joke to me. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. Are you badly hitIn the leg. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. you met British men and sometimes women. like bridge.Say.He likes it.You must go on leave at once. baby.

At the start of the winter came the permanent rain and with the rain came the cholera.I see. you know.This is the third day.Oh. he pointed to the thumb. I translated.There isnt any place. the stumps of trees projected.No.Id rather wait.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. father. I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished.But Scotland is England.

It is with them the war is made. Rinaldi took the note. Gordini stood behind me. NapoliThats enough. The priest looked up. He started the car. Goodby. You cant. We were in the second army.Rinaldi picked up the candle. His breath went away. Its twice as big as it was this morning. We walked to the door and I saw her go in and down the hall. which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain. We stood outside the door on the patch and he said.

He offered me a glass of cognac. When we were out on the gravel drive she said.J started down the driveway. Hes coming to see you. Ill see the medical wallahs.Two carabinieri held the car up. I said. Ive known him before. Passini was dead. I tried to move but I could not move. Stop it. It was quiet for a moment still. he said. looking at my eyes all the time. crossed the pontoon bridge.

Signor Tenente. I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow. because they found the three per cent bonds on his person.We kissed and she broke away suddenly.Are you very tired she asked.How is everythingSplendid. she said. I said.No. They lifted me onto the table.You were quite right. Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet.

the water blue like the sky.They hang you. I dressed. English goddess. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. crossing out everything except. he said.I drank the cognac and felt it warm all the way down. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers. Then I will take him with my first load. I remembered. and then a drink of the wine. Manera said.

No comments:

Post a Comment