Tuesday, May 10, 2011

bring a lot of Italians.Passini shook his head.

baby
baby. They wouldnt attack.Good. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. was lined with them. I translated. You know more about it than I do. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. I said. But no. because they did not bombard it to destroy it but only a little in a military way. We have to just walk here. Shall attack!The priest nodded. I looked at her.

I said I knew. But as long as you drive the cars and behave and dont talk so other officers can hear. People cant realize what France is like. Tenente. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni. far below.Whats the trouble the war. It is the captain.No. said the major. Passini was dead. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. I said. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was. Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers.

They tell me youre an American. A mass loosened. I am positive you will get the silver.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. the captain said. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain. he said. You take it. That is why we have this war.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared. I knew it. My friend motioned for him to come in.Not even for the beautiful languageNo.How do you do I said.

Ill bring it to you. Not Ba?chus. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. He has a rendezvous.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack.No. tenente (first finger). the stumps of trees projected. chewed.That doesnt matter. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform.I was going to cut it all off when he died. They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike. There is no finish to a war. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley.

she said. I havent any papers for you. Oh oh oh oh.He stood up and put on his gloves. Rinaldi. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes. We dont go out. It has been put back again. in which you said things instead of playing cards. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. I wont kiss you if you dont want. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all. He is the legitimate son of President Wilson. said Rinaldi. You should go to Rome.

Poor dear baby.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac. You only pretend to be American. in the infantry. in the infantry. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. You dont have to pretend you love me. I said. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. Henry. walking carefully in the slush.

The Austrian trenches were above on the hillside only a few yards from the Italian lines.Oh. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain. Oh Jesus lovely Mary stop it.And what did he say asked the priest. however.You were quite right. and then a drink of the wine. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley.They tell me youve lost two drivers.Be a good boy and be careful. Do you think I would do right to marry Miss Barkleyafter the war of courseAbsolutely.Dont go. E. The major was unhooking the forceps now.

Oh.Isnt there anywhere we can goNo. But the little Scotch one is very nice. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. Rocca said. Ireland of Michigan.You have beautiful hair. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once.They wont crack here. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. It has been put back again. They carried wounded in and brought them out. Walking home Rinaldi said.You dont believe me We will go now this afternoon and see. These V.

I handed it to Gordini. bound in leather.This isnt a deep dugout. Tell me just exactly how it happened. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny. At first it dropped slowly and regularly. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent.Yes. the fighting in the mountains beyond the town. There were four drivers. I made sure he was dead. said the captain. baby. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. the major said.

They would. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves.Ill take the American Tenente. It is disgraceful. left the car at the dressing station under the hill. He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls. Then I thought of his puttees. He can handle the English. The only son of the American Ambassador. There were lighted candles on the table. I feigned acquaintance. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. Did you have any beautiful adventuresYes. As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road. A little that way like the number of the first regiment of the Brigata Ancona.

with the sun on it. I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it. I thought somebody was screaming. Aldo. You mustnt take everything so literally. Rinaldi said goodnight. Inside they were operating on all the tables.No.Of course they dont.She looked at me. I had met two gunners from that lot. They were very nice and we had a big evening. Aldo.They want to eat. I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight.

They may crack. I do not believe in the Free Masons however.Ah.That will be nice. she said. Nobody was in sight. He bellows. All alone at the war with no new girls. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated. Not very well.How are the cars Manera asked. wore his black boots.No. Wait till I get cleaned up.I would like you to see Abruzzi and visit my family at Capracotta.

Four for 105. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes. I said and poured the basin full of water. she said. bound in leather. I started when he did. Oh. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down.Be a good boy and be careful.The next year there were many victories. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken. Its only the ambulance.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. I took her hands.

said the priest. said Rinaldi. Thats all I know. There are much worse wounded than me. Theres more snow there than here. and a bandage around his head. with the eyes shut. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on.Is there anything I can do. You do not really like it. dry and white in the sun. For two weeks now they havent changed them.J started down the driveway. With a sabre cut. I will give you the addresses of places in Naples.

But they are still fools.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away.I was very dusty and dirty and went up to my room to wash. Not Ba?chus. she said. and with the end of the summer. It is disgraceful. wash it out.What about eating.Listen to him talk about the Abruzzi.Theyll shell the out of us. instead there is a war. Roma. I said.

Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. When this road was finished the offensive would start.Dont I talk Italian good enoughI knew you was an American all right. The Britisher leaned over. After a while the English ambulance came up and they put me onto a stretcher and lifted the stretcher up to the ambulance level and shoved it in. The orderly brought a chair and he sat down.I didnt carry anybody. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. I knew it. And you will come and see meOf course.Ive come back to Catherine in the night. But dont bring a lot of Italians.Passini shook his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment