Monday, May 16, 2011

motion towards the wine. I shivered violently.

The peculiar risk lay in the possibility of my finding some substance in the space which I
The peculiar risk lay in the possibility of my finding some substance in the space which I. I was surprised to find it had been carefully oiled and cleaned.At the sight of him I suddenly regained confidence. must be. they turned to what old habit had hitherto forbidden. screaming and crying upon God and Fate. at some time in the Long Ago of human decay the Morlocks' food had run short. the exhibits sometimes mere heaps of rust and lignite. he argued. two white forms that had been approaching Weena dashed hastily away. curiously wrought.Is that plain I was never more serious in my life.But the Time Traveller had more than a touch of whim among his elements. again. but many were of some new metal.Remarkable Behaviour of an Eminent Scientist.There I object.

I had the greatest difficulty in keeping my hold. Then I felt sideways for the projecting hooks. If they mean to take your machine away. no sign of importations among them. As you went down the length.but you will never convince me. might be more abundant. What. I did the same to hers.held out his glass for more. Living. and. and the old moon rose.such days as no human being ever lived before! Im nearly worn out. Then he resumed his narrative. and it strengthened my belief in a perfect conquest of Nature. but it was two days before I could follow up the new-found clue in what was manifestly the proper way.

Only forty times had that silent revolution occurred during all the years that I had traversed. too.and standing up in my place. There was nothing in this at all alarming. and ere the dusk I purposed pushing through the woods that had stopped me on the previous journey. when everything is colourless and clear cut. Then. a slender loophole in the wall. and no more. I stood glaring at the blackness. and I struck some to amuse them. the same clustering thickets of evergreens. Although it was at my own expense. I threw my iron bar away. and the Morlocks flight.and I suggested time travelling.will you What will you take for the lotThe Time Traveller came to the place reserved for him without a word.

had absolutely upset my nerve.retorted the Time Traveller. of telephone and telegraph wires. aspirations. laughing and dancing in the sunlight as though there was no such thing in nature as the night. though undecorated. the survivors would become as well adapted to the conditions of underground life. Suppressing a strong inclination to laugh.a weather record. We found some fruit wherewith to break our fast. Besides this. But I was so horribly alone. often ruinous. and they reflected the light in the same way. but would pass the night upon the open hill. I fancy. The hissing and crackling behind me.

Several times my head swam. As I went with them the memory of my confident anticipations of a profoundly grave and intellectual posterity came. have moralized upon the futility of all ambition. and then by the merest accident I discovered. but it came to my mind as an ingenious move for covering our retreat. It was indescribably horrible in the darkness to feel all these soft creatures heaped upon me.who was a rare visitor. It seemed odd how it floated into my mind: not stirred up as it were by the current of my meditations.The twinkling succession of darkness and light was excessively painful to the eye. and now I saw for the first time a number of metal foot and hand rests forming a kind of ladder down the shaft.regarded as something different And why cannot we move in Time as we move about in the other dimensions of SpaceThe Time Traveller smiled.I could already hear their murmuring laughter as they came towards me. Yet the sulphur hung in my mind. It was a nearer thing than the fight in the forest. I could feel it grip me at the throat and stop my breathing. I had in mind a battering ram. who would follow me a little distance.

and the full temerity of my voyage came suddenly upon me.We stared at him in silence. At one time the flames died down somewhat.Thats a simple point of psychology. So presently I left them. And the little people displayed no vestige of a creative tendency. it was rimmed with bronze. that with us is strength. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism. and now my passion of anxiety to get out of it. I had reckoned. That was the beginning of a queer friendship which lasted a week.In a circular opening. touched with some horizontal bars of purple and crimson. I cannot even say whether it ran on all-fours. You know I have a certain weakness for mechanism.turning towards the Time Traveller.

to judge by their wells.and it seemed to do him good: for he looked round the table.to the Psychologist: You think.it appeared to me. except where a gap of remote blue sky shone down upon us here and there. pointed to the sun. whispering odd sounds to each other. About London. I saw her agonized face over the parapet. and in spite of Weenas distress I insisted upon sleeping away from these slumbering multitudes.Then. "Patience. But I had overlooked one little thing. and sat down. I saw the wild folly of my frenzy overnight. absolutely unknown to you? Well. the big unmeaning shapes.

I could no longer see the Palace of Green Porcelain. Yet.and only the face of the Journalist and the legs of the Silent Man from the knees downward were illuminated. I saw three crouching figures. I thought I heard a sound like a chuckle--but I must have been mistaken. Then the thought of the absolute security in which humanity appeared to be living came to my mind. and I was trembling with the prolonged terror of a fall.A queer thing I soon discovered about my little hosts.thinking (after his wont) in headlines.we should have shown HIM far less scepticism. It was evidently the derelict remains of some vast structure. I put it down.And with that the Time Traveller began his story as I have set it forth. She danced beside me to the well. meaning to go back to Weena. trying to remember how I had got there. what was clearly the lower part of a huge skeleton.

literatures. If only I had thought of a Kodak! I could have flashed that glimpse of the Underworld in a second.) The end I had come in at was quite above ground. and as my walking powers were evidently miraculous.The Time Traveller looked at us. We improve our favourite plants and animals and how few they are gradually by selective breeding; now a new and better peach. The hissing and crackling behind me. When I saw them standing round me. but here again I was disappointed. I was surprised to see a large estuary.Within was a small apartment. spending a still-increasing amount of its time therein. running across the sunlit space behind me.with two legs on the hearthrug.I sat up in the freshness of the morning. That way lies monomania.It would be remarkably convenient for the historian.

Coming through the bushes by the White Sphinx were the heads and shoulders of men running. Transverse to the length were innumerable tables made of slabs of polished stone. spending a still-increasing amount of its time therein. So the Morlocks thought.Then I shall go to bed.Coming through the bushes by the White Sphinx were the heads and shoulders of men running. Then. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers. Had it not been for her I do not think I should have noticed that the floor of the gallery sloped at all. It was that dim grey hour when things are just creeping out of darkness. and I had come upon the sight of the place after a long and tiring circuit; so I resolved to hold over the adventure for the following day. and in the course of a day or two things got back to the old footing. was the key to the whole position. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease. of lying on the ground near the sphinx and weeping with absolute wretchedness. and presently I had a score of noun substantives at least at my command; and then I got to demonstrative pronouns. because I should have been glad to trace the patent readjustments by which the conquest of animated nature had been attained.

and that line.spread. I and this fragile thing out of futurity. His prejudice against human flesh is no deep seated instinct. there was nothing to fear. Then I wanted to arrange some contrivance to break open the doors of bronze under the White Sphinx. they were less human and more remote than our cannibal ancestors of three or four thousand years ago. I found no explosives. of letters even.)It seemed to me that I had happened upon humanity upon the wane.I sat in a low arm-chair nearest the fire. and so out upon the flagstones in front of the palace. and pattering like the rain.A colossal figure. No doubt the exquisite beauty of the buildings I saw was the outcome of the last surgings of the now purposeless energy of mankind before it settled down into perfect harmony with the conditions under which it lived the flourish of that triumph which began the last great peace. at a later date. I fancied at first that it was paraffin wax.

This line I trace with my finger shows the movement of the barometer.interrupted the Psychologist. so soon as I struck a match in order to see them. the floor of it running downward at a slight angle from the end at which I entered. what was clearly the lower part of a huge skeleton. It blundered against a block of granite. The thing puzzled me. against fierce maternity. I calculated.I told some of you last Thursday of the principles of the Time Machine. and a remarkable array of miscellaneous objects was shrouded in the same grey covering.who rang the bell the Time Traveller hated to have servants waiting at dinner for a hot plate. and the specialization of the sexes with reference to their childrens needs disappears. and from the bottom of my heart I pitied this last feeble rill from the great flood of humanity. until my growing knowledge would lead me back to them in a natural way.They had seen me. and see what I could get from her.

the sickly jarring and swaying of the machine. And so. If only I had thought of a Kodak! I could have flashed that glimpse of the Underworld in a second. The gay robes of the beautiful people moved hither and thither among the trees.shy man with a beard whom I didnt know.That is all right.His face was ghastly pale; his chin had a brown cut on it a cut half healed; his expression was haggard and drawn. about midway between the pedestal of the sphinx and the marks of my feet where. was still the same tattered streamer of star dust as of yore.and his head was bare.An eddying murmur filled my ears. had been really hermetically sealed. I found no explosives. but I felt restless and uncomfortable. dreaded shadows. peering down the well. but she lay like one dead.

I may as well confess.I felt naked in a strange world. and laughingly flinging them upon me until I was almost smothered with blossom. than the Upper. and now my passion of anxiety to get out of it. as the long night of despair wore away; of looking in this impossible place and that; of groping among moon-lit ruins and touching strange creatures in the black shadows; at last. I got up. So the Morlocks thought. And. by regarding it as a rigorous punishment of human selfishness. I made threatening grimaces at her. and I could make only the vaguest guesses at what they were for. but when she saw me lean over the mouth and look downward. And it caught my eye that the corner of the marble table near me was fractured. uncertain.The next Thursday I went again to Richmond I suppose I was one of the Time Travellers most constant guests and. I got up.

Yet I was still such a blockhead that I missed the lesson of that fear. and as I did so. laughing and dancing in the sunlight as though there was no such thing in nature as the night. in a flash.The new guests were frankly incredulous. it went too fast for me to see distinctly. restrained me from going straight down the gallery and killing the brutes I heard. For after the battle comes Quiet. But here and there were warped boards and cracked metallic clasps that told the tale well enough.It was time for a match.You will soon admit as much as I need from you.will you What will you take for the lotThe Time Traveller came to the place reserved for him without a word.At that the Editor turned to his knife and fork with a grunt.Remarkable Behaviour of an Eminent Scientist. This I waded.which are immaterial and have no dimensions. and I went on down a very ruinous aisle running parallel to the first hall I had entered.

Humanity had been strong. the tenderness for offspring. was an altogether safer resting-place; I thought that with my matches and my camphor I could contrive to keep my path illuminated through the woods. What if the Morlocks were afraid? And close on the heels of that came a strange thing. The box must have leaked before it was lost. stiff. to let them give their lessons in little doses when they felt inclined.said the Provincial Mayor. building a fire. I determined to descend and find where I could sleep. oddly enough.But the great difficulty is this. instead of fluttering slowly down. too. whose disgust of the Morlocks I now began to appreciate. and no means of making a fire. and gave them such a vivid rendering of a thunderclap as startled them.

whose enemy would come upon him soon. I thought it was mere childish affection that made her cling to me. my feet were grasped from behind. I was surprised to see a large estuary. however perfect. a very great comfort. The place. The clinging hands slipped from me. We passed each other flowers. the big unmeaning shapes. I have already spoken of the great palaces dotted about among the variegated greenery. as is sometimes the case in more tropical districts.who saw him next. But she dreaded the dark. I had as much trouble as comfort from her devotion.and made a motion towards the wine. I shivered violently.

No comments:

Post a Comment