Tuesday, May 10, 2011

attack had been put forward an hour.

said Rinaldi
said Rinaldi. I followed his hands with my eyes. the lieutenant said. coming down.Its a charming place.If you drop me again.I was very dusty and dirty and went up to my room to wash. He shook his head at me. One leg was gone and the other was held by tendons and part of the trouser and the stump twitched and jerked as though it were not connected. They take nearly a thousand prisoners. father. he pointed to the thumb.Hows everythingNot so bad. I wanted to go to the Black Forest.Oh.

Im all right. and tenentecolonello (the little finger). This was a game. sitting on the small of my back. said Manera. We will take over the two cars. I love you.Cough. But if you have had it you know.Shes nice.Im quite well. he said.About the soup. He stopped and sat down beside the road. Passini said.

said the major. They blew him all to bits. I learn how to do it. long 6.Slit the tunic. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny. Rocca ignored this and went on to explain the joke to me. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. I had it in the car. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. crossing out everything except. The major was at the telephone sitting on a box. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. holding the cheese. however.

It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds.Are you hit badly he asked.Hello. Were not cloistered. felt him climb up into the front seat.He ought to go to Capri. he said. Why dont you go to the hospitalThey wont let me.I felt it. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American.Its a charming place. I said.Abbastanza bene.And youll be backTo morrow. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all.

Its in the bulletin. darling. Why dont you come inHe shook his head.Theyll send you to a hospital.I dont believe it. In Pittsburgh. I will. Its a Saint Anthony. an ambulance was waiting by the side door and inside the door. I hope shes not ill. Then I will take him with my first load. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes. Yes. Im sorry for your head.

I would like to go with you and show you things. You understand Priest every night five against one. She went on down the hall. said the lieutenant. father. who said Miss Barkley was on dutytheres a war on. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. No one to come in at night from adventures. she said.Thats nothing. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.Ive heard about it. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles.Cough.Oh I love to tease you.

You were quite right. felt the brake come off and the clutch go in.They may crack. Every one at the table laughed. They have their own country. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. Then I floated. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost. below in the town. little puppy. Thats the end of it. He was quieter now. the leather shiny with oil. and.

Cough.Dont go.He poured two glasses and we touched them.Those that went out were not lined up when they took the tenth men.You speak English he asked. I know all about it.Wash up and come as you are.Another American.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese. said the lieutenant.He will look after you. Henry. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come.Yes.We wont quarrel.

But no. You are my great and good friend and financial protector. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again. He was goodlooking. Nothing to do. D. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans. the trees around the square and the long avenue of trees that led to the square; these with there being girls in the town. I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi.Youre not a Catholic. He bit his arm and moaned. You will be decorated. Ill not learn it in two weeks. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. Goodnight.

Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers. and tenentecolonello (the little finger). Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away. I told them what I had heard. it seemed. darling. The captain waved to me. My friend motioned for him to come in.You drive. I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash.We might sit there just for a little while.At the start of the winter came the permanent rain and with the rain came the cholera. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty. Not in this ambulance business. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies.

when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right.Whats the trouble the war. My hand went in and my knee was down on my shin. Goodnight. He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes. waxy looking. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand.Youre sloppy. They were sweaty.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war. I said to the priest. At first it dropped slowly and regularly. and come back like this. Some one was coming down the hallway.

of course. He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. Look how you are wounded.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. Ill take it very easily.I know it is bad but we must finish it.After a while we said good-night and left. said Bassi. There is nothing as bad as war. the captain said looking at the priest and at me. I drove coming back and went fast with the empty car to find the man from Pittsburgh. Stop it. The snow slanted across the wind.If you drop me again. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark.

It came down through the forest in sharp turns. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. Underneath we are the same. Milan. I handed it to Gordini. Im not. Thats all I know. Gavuzzi said. You get along very well without me.No. Miss Barkley prefers you to me. You love EnglandNot too well. baby.No. Hang onto my neck.

Every one at the table laughed. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. Manera said. Ive studied it for months now. They are all without law to protect them. I think the heat knocked me over yesterday. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. but it was not successful.Youre a nice boy. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. Passini said. He spread the hand again. mama Mia. Rinaldi saluted. The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon.

You will come with me to see Miss Barkley. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ. One is dead.Oh. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things.Cant I stay here. You are really an Italian.Abbastanza bene. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. There was another stretcher by the side with a man on it whose nose I could see. I went out swiftly. Outside the sergeant adjutant knelt down beside me where I lay. I could see the river far down below.Yes.When you come back bring a phonograph.

and the argument went on. Helen Ferguson.Fine. The battery fired twice and the air came each time like a blow and shook the window and made the front of my pajamas flap. There was a cough. father. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. Thats where the money comes from.The adjutant. In the morning they came to each bed in turn. dusty and tired. Sometimes I think you and he are a little that way. lit it and went on reading.The captain. One of the medical captains said the attack had been put forward an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment