Tuesday, May 10, 2011

could get and keep covered.Then well have to work. You will be good to me.

I dont know
I dont know.She laughed. Did you have any beautiful adventuresYes. Maria. and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels.All bersaglieriI think so. I thought she was very beautiful. They would. Tenente.No. Go on. Dio te salve. havent youYes. and mark a cross on both legs.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything.

There isnt any place. There is no finish to a war. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage.He likes it. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. Bacchus. But I do with you. felt the brake come off and the clutch go in.They are brave and have good discipline. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. You must forgive me for talking so much. he said. The major asked me to have a drink with him and two other officers. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war.

he explained to me. she said. There was fighting for that mountain too. I said.Wait a minute. with the eyes shut. And come to morrow night. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. he pointed to the thumb. We stopped at the side of the road.It was because we were scared. below in the town. went to call on Miss Barkley. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. Didnt you refuse to be medically aided before the othersNot very firmly.

I said.They hang you. Some one probably got it at one of the dressing stations. Im something called a V. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. You will be good to me. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs.You are crazy. You were liable to arrest if you did not have one worn in plain sight. the cool nights. I translated. They cant do that to everybody. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.You are sweet.

Are you hit badly he asked. Fragments of enemy trench mortar shell.I will send her. I watched them settle on the ceiling. Goodnight.Kiss me. How are you. darling. They sent me the little stick.Ill be right here. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain. He recognized me and waved a forceps.Shes Scotch.

Its only the ambulance. ha! he said.Lets drop it anyway. It was Miss Ferguson. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. It was cold in the car in the night as the road climbed. We have to just walk here. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. She was crying. At the first battle you all run. Mr. There are some people who never realize. I said. and relaxed.

Thats what keeps you from being court martialled for self inflicted wounds. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more. Passini said respectfully. falling and the soldiers marching and afterward the road bare and white except for the leaves. then crossed the river.Where have you beenAt the Villa Rossa.Like the Tchecos. His breath went away. Now they try to forget it. please.Lets drop it anyway. Get some more of that Antitetanus. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small. she said. NapoliThats enough.

I said.I was going to cut it all off when he died.Could I see her just for a momentThey sent an orderly to see and she came back with him. I went out swiftly.You are ignorant.Im dreadfully sorry. darling. major.That priest. The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge. no. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge.Please lets not lie when we dont have to.The captain.Ill take the American Tenente.

The officers all came from such good families. I hurried up the driveway and inside the reception hall I asked for Miss Barkley. that looked chalky white and furrowed. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started. There were trees along both sides of the road and through the right line of trees I saw the river. I believe we should get the war over.Im perfectly all right. I got out and told the driver to go on and that if we had not caught up to them at the junction of the road to Cormons to wait there.Hello. didnt youYes. the major said.I translated this for Miss Ferguson. I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. yes.Ciaou! he said.

It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering. It would have been much simpler. We two stopped talking and the captain shouted. lieutenant.Thats what the priest said. and his hair shone. dusty and tired. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows.Probably. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs. I said. said Manera.I did not say anything. said Rinaldi. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around.

We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. I wanted to go to Austria without war. the major said. They have their own country.5 mm. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. she said. she said. Ive seen the holes. Im awfully tired. At the first battle you all run. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away. opened it. The road went up the valley a long way and then we turned off and commenced to climb into the hills again. Ill see the medical wallahs.

He slapped the bed with his glove.Of course some of the bonds were not accounted for but the priest had all of the three per cent bonds and several local obligations. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off.You better wait until the shelling is over. and well see. Thats what keeps you from being court martialled for self inflicted wounds. I said. With a sabre cut. folded it without rising from the bed and slid it in his breeches pocket. isnt heYes. Rinaldi said goodnight. then it pattered into a stream. He was walking with a limp. Go on tell me. In the dark it was like summer lightning.

I went to the window and looked out.Bring him in.Id really rather. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. Besides. I said.Oh. I love you.Ca va bienCa va.Goodnight. With a girl it is painful. he said. I said.No. Gavuzzi has your legs.

No.He shook his head. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. The men were hot and sweating. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. he said to me. Manera said. the lieutenant said.You are crazy. All fire and smoke and nothing inside. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any. It was all as I had left it except that now it was spring. He denied all knowledge of the five per cent bonds. Where have you beenIve been out on post.I left them working.

He does really. You walk up and down.After a while I walked with her to the door of the villa and she went in and I walked home. There is good hunting.Of course some of the bonds were not accounted for but the priest had all of the three per cent bonds and several local obligations.Theyll send you to a hospital. and healthy. Tenente. but it was not Catherine. I know all about it now. but instead we had Ii Generale Cadorna. Then I made out my report in my room. I said. I dont go there any more. and his hair shone.

They are too stupid. said the lieutenant. There were lighted candles on the table. and. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors.I thought it over. You will please come and make me a good impression on her.Of course some of the bonds were not accounted for but the priest had all of the three per cent bonds and several local obligations. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. Ill take it very easily.We looked at Rinaldi talking with the other nurse. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered.Then well have to work. You will be good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment