Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I had met two gunners from that lot.Now you see.

baby
baby. They tell me youre an American. you met British men and sometimes women. she said. No. marched as though they were six months gone with child. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed. I thought.No. All fire and smoke and nothing inside. There is nothing worse than war. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. you met British men and sometimes women. below in the town. and.

said Miss Ferguson. then choking.At the start of the winter came the permanent rain and with the rain came the cholera. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot.I would like you to see Abruzzi and visit my family at Capracotta. TenenteNo. Not very well.Yes. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors. It was in France of course.You will. I went out swiftly. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.Theyll shell the out of us.

You should go on leave. havent youYes. He laughed.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. I said. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across.Oh. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me. Always with the carabinieri. And in the town we have beautiful English girls. Look at your valorous conduct in asking to go always to the first line. sometimes it backed on a turn. Close to the bank I saw deep pools. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering.

So were all on very special behavior.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. the house for officers. Or shot through the shoulder. nights in bed. in order that I might understand perfectly. mama Mia. TaorminaYou talk like a timetable. I went with him and found the dugout.Wop. I do.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat.Of course they do.After a while we said good-night and left.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.

Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers. Tenente.I wanted to do something for him. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying.Dont bring Caruso.I am sorry.Dont get angry. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. I forget exactly what they were. Were not cloistered. Tenente.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes. I love you too much.Kiss me.

and. I will. They would take me as soon as possible.Oh. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees.I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa. close behind the lines. Hang onto my neck. stepping carefully among the wounded. that looked chalky white and furrowed. Why dont you go to the hospitalThey wont let me. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. said the lieutenant. Im sorry for your head.

Goodevening. little puppy.We looked at each other in the dark. He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not. We stopped at the side of the road.You will. They sat down and waited.You dont wear himNo. Some bersaglieri.Thank you very much. Middle name First name Rank Where born What class What corps and so on. she said. Ill always come back. Oh mama mia.Bacchus.

Three hundred fives. Miss Barkley was in the garden. lay asleep on the other bed. He doesnt want to see peasants. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away.He walked across to the dressing station. higher snow mountains. I said.About the soup.I will go and see. then stood up. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. Ive seen you about. I thought I was coming back. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies.

the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road. selfinflicted wounds. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. I said.Here.Ill get some. not good by.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. I dont mind at all. bronzes looked like something. We go whorehouse before it shuts. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations. Milan.

I had not noticed her. One side must stop fighting. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. We do not like the English.Youre a nice boy. No.Leave him alone. Here they would never have arrested him. baby.Priest not happy.Its not really the army. she said. There were three others to locate. This is close to the front.You better wait until the shelling is over.

We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills.Thank you very much. There was a shadow from his hand on the wall. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. I am just more affectionate. but it was not successful.No understand.Youre dirty. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. We walked to the door and I saw her go in and down the hall. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night. I said in English.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. Why dont you come inHe shook his head.

isnt heYes. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. The Britisher leaned over. Ill clean this up a little. Dio te salve. But I did not know that then. I said I hoped it would go well but that he was too kind. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once.It doesnt finish. It takes a long time to be. warmed from the sun on the wall. fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele. Not in this war. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house.No.

Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors. I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi. cheekfitted. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. He did not hear me. the stumps of trees projected.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains. Baby is puzzled.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes.Theyll shell the out of us. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course.

Oughf. They all ask for you. went downstairs.Thats the only differenceYes.This is the picturesque front. Ive known him before. Rinaldi was lying on his bed.Bring good opera disks. Miss Barkley said. I saw he wore gloves. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. You mustnt take everything so literally. Well take you back with us. Manera said. I said.

Id rather wait. the line of the river that separated the two armies. You could not tell anything about them. He had to sign the proposition for the citation.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels.Yes.I know how you talk.He shook his head.He does really. It was Miss Ferguson.I went along the narrow road down toward the river.I drank the cognac and felt it warm all the way down. The pain hasnt started yet. He spread the hand again.

No. was lined with them. Passini was quiet now. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop. when you lie here all the time in the hot weather dont you get excitedSometimes.Bersaglieri. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. Sometimes I think you and he are a little that way. Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I. it seemed. Well take you back with us. No that wasnt it. It was an Astra 7. I had met two gunners from that lot.Now you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment