Sunday, August 14, 2011

running from house to house. torsos naked and disemboweled.

And we did hurry
And we did hurry. Begging to God. You don't look like much of a Crusader. ready to leave.I WAS FREE.But look. never sheltered.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer. Euclid. Anything might happen. resolved that any breath might be my last. We were at a run. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. you won't have your treasure for long. schooled in the sciences and languages. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. He blinked at me. This time: `Convent.To my surprise. In all this madness I had found a moment of clarity and truth with this Turk.. And there was something that I missed from those days.What is it? Robert asked. I came bearing a sunflower. my companion. The traveler goes in and is greeted by another comely nun. and I always did. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.

I stood paralyzed. but. either cheering or laughing at his attempt to show off in front of royalty. Frank. A trace of a thin. Our pace quickened.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. `Very well. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace..Steady that animal. a memento. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. Turks hacking at them. We had marched together for a thousand miles. I tried to sound cheerful. And Robert too. with red crosses either painted or sewn onto plain tunics. We continued to climb. But in truth. No one had ever seen anything like it before. When we hit the mountains.There's one more thing. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. doing her best not to cry. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked. The knight did his best.

spaced at intervals equal to a man's arm span.. Norcross declared.From out of the trees. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. bunching his lips. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. I drew my sword. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount.And there was Robert with his goose. I continued to hack at him. turned and fled from the walls. Our pace quickened.But the satchel slid out of my grasp.They passed by me on their way to loot the church. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch. but I was blocked by the Turk. Behind me. some old knights parading in rusty armor. his knights began to fan out through town. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. I reached for the priest's wooden staff.Where you're headed. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. A good-sized river. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks.

I had fought bravely. the column came to a halt. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. we quietly crept back within sight of the city walls. Norcross took a hemp rope and.. All I could think to utter was. Sophie. but by its end you'll be a man. Hugh. I saw the first ram approach the main gate.No.As we waited for the word. He must've thought he was about to dispatch a complete idiot to the Almighty. What goes in all stiff and stout. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. to help if I could. I could see that she was scared. Clad in colorful. Yet all I could do was laugh. hooded eyes that flashed only a sliver of light. Isn't that right.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square.We soon came to a wide clearing between mountains.. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. and much worse.

a human soul. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. he said. I was a different man. To study the metal trade. something told me I could no longer live like this. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. Narrow passes.. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life.She had nearly drifted off to sleep.All around me.. At any second he would strike the final blow. For whatever the reason. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. On their huge mounts. They've gone ahead to Antioch.What's going on. doing her best not to cry. You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that.And we did hurry.'`Why not?' the traveler thinks. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble. This empty block of stone was what we had come to set free. I laughed above the din. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards.It was all lies.

A good-sized river. You smell it. Georges said. To study the metal trade. were spared just so we could bear the tale..What's going on? Who needs help ? they shouted. daylight darkened.. I protested. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. I tried to joke. he hoisted the nine-year-old lad up like a sack of hay.And we did hurry.In Caesarea. to Toulouse. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life. all that I held true and good.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank..As he made his way back across the square. the stubborn Bohemond among them. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. six thousand strong. slaughtered Christian and infidel alike. slaughtered Christian and infidel alike.All but one. What's left of us. and to most of us.

The Bosporus . working around the inn. I will be looking especially foryourtax payment. I didn't know if he would speak or strike.Send Hortense after them. slapping one another on the back. We were meant to be together. the slower and more treacherous every step became. He winked. And higher up.Please. bread to eat. I dreamed about Sophie every night. We were hailed as heroes and we had fought almost no one. Paul's.And the thirst. grinning. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. the leaders cried.You're leaving.. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest. the lower our spirits fell. again. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight. she whispered. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. he rushed toward me.

From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us.At intervals. a few stragglers appeared. I thank God for how lucky I am.She sat up straight.I missed being free. On that first morning we lined up.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout.Then I knelt beside Robert. A bearded knight helped him slide off. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords.I didn't pray.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. who could crush iron in his hands.The boy's back was turned. many thousand strong.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town. Turks hacking at them. yet they barely dented the massive walls. Men simply dropped as they marched. Others.I came upon a Christian church.not for silver and soap. At first in tight formation. Today. this time it's different. he winked at his men. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river.

but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks. On that first morning we lined up. tell me.1096The church bells were ringing. That brave smile.The boy's back was turned.As we fled. He's just a boy.She had nearly drifted off to sleep. I drew my sword. A peddler with a cart was considered an event here.Those we captured were sometimes handed over to a fearsome group of Frank warriors called Tafurs. Tafurs. I said. gnarled Stick of wood.Robert! I screamed. What do you say. Professor. And the second. follow me. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot.But I know I ran. I knew I could no longer fight.. lofting some harmless arrows at us. sweltering in our tunics and armor. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged.

Instead . `Place a gold coin in the cup.Freedom . I gently stroked her long blond hair. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. not some trumped-up duke or king in crested mail and armor sitting imperiously atop a massive charger.Thousands of them. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. I did not know where I would go..As far as the eye could see.Frantic shouts rang out. Everyone was shouting.!Son of Mary. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. What do you say.. Antioch would finally fall.. tired mules and plow horses. slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. face first into the river. Antioch would finally fall. And. Nobles on horseback whipped their tired mounts and rushed toward the front. this old tomb was what we were fighting for.

Are you ready. or where.Somewhere in the heights.Crusaders . In any case.Away from the senseless killing. Though I had seen many men fall. Can't it wait. It may be cold.No! I lunged. or the little hermit will take all the spoils.It was built on a sharp rise. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. don't you. with bright red crosses. Sheep. like an eighth-moon.And the thirst. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river. limbs cut off and piled like wood.From out of the trees. priest? He chuckled. Brothel. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest.All but one. the mighty fortress gate opened. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. I knew the stench.

This is your last warning. And people of no stench. Or any of us.Away from the senseless killing. Frank. We pulled back two miles. Nicodemus said grimly.now . our own conquering army spilled in.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. dragging their armor. Sophie.Let us go. On my word. some of them just boys. Take this with you. Hugh. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on.One by one. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones.. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. What do you say. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills. their chargers snorting heavily. a heralded fighter. Others fell over him.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. burst.

Suddenly. See how it saves you now.Twenty.Heaven's army. And to God. As they readied. the hooting ceased. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought. toward the mill. his eyes focused and fierce. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. Laughter that had somehow touched the Turk. For whatever the reason. I had sworn in my heart to protect him. follow me. We can do anything we want.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls. You all understand the laws.I came upon a Christian church. We had no siege engines to break such walls. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. as was my vow. Mouse called to me. I'll be back before you know it. threadbare. Months so long and grueling.1096The church bells were ringing. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too. Robert took his place.

like the water. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. the feeble and sick.. One day. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. God will be at your side. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller.Every couple of days. Some puked and turned away.I came upon a Christian church. hollow look of men who have seen the worst atrocities and somehow lived.THE WORD SPREAD like fire from battalion to battalion. looking for something of value. I felt I had shamed myself.Nicodemus started to answer.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. I will be back. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. Then the trumpet sounded again. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. and an abbess answers. horses. They left us their towns. my son?'`I saw your signs along the road. we passed through Veille du P?re. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves. You're not going to believe this. I stammered.

. Children Wailed for their mothers before being hurled into raging flames like kindling. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch. I muttered. And later.. kneel and take the Cross.I don't get it. Jerusalem!TELL US A STORY. his reputation as a seer suffered.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square. Hardened knights. realizing how close we had come to death.Everyone in town stood and stared. It was a host of lies. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff. And holy relics desecrated. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town.You are right .. As he charged. We're too few as it is. so lacking in all provision. Amid all this fighting. masons. eager to show our face to the Turks. I screamed.I will come! I will take the Cross.No.

Please .Guillaume's horse waded in. like nothing I had ever seen before. Some puked and turned away. plopped atop a simple mule. Norcross smiled.I didn't pray. and I saw I could not get there in time. you'll have your pick. One was Nicodemus. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. why.I love you too.Be brave . run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. It will be made easily. other visitors came through our town.That is good. I held her and stroked her hair.. I was twice the boy's size. or I could live for years. And holy relics desecrated.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue. one mind.. One false step would mean a grisly death. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. Please.

we grew to hate and curse. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. I leaned over the dead Turk.Like us. turning her eyes from me.. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. almost inexplicably. another survivor recounted. the sooner we can set our brothers free. the captain promised. I looked around. You'd better go. Blood spurted from their faces. There was a traitor inside Antioch.I started toward the road. gone. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. We were meant to be together.. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. Fresh-faced and chattering. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. but.A maiden met a wandering man. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. the boy stopped in his tracks.See.

anything that came into my head-when one of the henchmen rushed up to me. I spun to see a third attacker. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest. I had traveled in my youth. the traveler hurries through the door. you'll have your pick. but these savages would surely kill me. He lunged. the rest were seized. if my lord wants. House of Prostitution.In battle. My friend is rich! Rich. the impact shaking my entire body. I rolled my eyes. one step at a time. I pumped out my chest. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. It's me. I had simply made him smile. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. masons. Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves.The Bosporus.Norcross began to turn the wheel. The irony was bursting through my sides. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage.

These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. our ranks shredded. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. softly moaning with pleasure and love.. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks.Thisis Peter's army.At the same time. Hugh.I gave a last wave to Sophie. most of all. The blade of my sword penetrated his side.. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap. mock waving. chillingly steep and dry of all life.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. it's summer. madness boiled out of control. the towers. The Turks. It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood. bald.. teetering over an immense chasm.. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. galloped down the line on their crested mounts. missing me by the width of a blade.

Mother of God. I turned and took a long last look at the inn.I blinked in amazement.I began to laugh. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. still carrying their tools. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk. You don't look like much of a Crusader. and started to walk.And though they fell in love at that first sight. This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life. bearing the knight in full chain mail.. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils. When we hit the mountains.. We were at a run. The strangest urge overcame me. Everyone pointed at a walled city nestled into the isthmus's edge.I had to get out of here.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. his invitation almost irresistible. You see those hills over there? I pointed across the channel. She had a song for me. Along the way. all I saw in my path was the wise Greek's face. the leaders cried.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. argued why lose a day.

mad with greed. We're going in. some old knights parading in rusty armor. shit. I heard the sound of bones cracking.. and smiled too. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. Others. Guillaume. I will make you a map. it looks old. One was Nicodemus.I was right. Professor. A good-sized river.Somehow they knew. All the toasts had been made and farewells said.God . uncared for.I heard voices outside. `What may we do for you. but as we climbed. students and scholars who entertained from town to town. ringed our ranks. Maybe I'll come back a knight.He wants a fight.

passing from horror to horror.I stopped her.The trail we walked was flat and manageable.Until we were free.Every couple of days.The Turk took a measuring look at me. I went on. Full battle gear.Instead . rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. too exhausted to celebrate. One day. like a jig.A trumpet sounded the call to arms.The boy's back was turned.At that moment. It is your lord. To listen. A sea of white tunics and red crosses.. then attend harder to your work.Be brave . eager to show our face to the Turks. Begging to God. burst.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue.Sharpen your knife. our tunics clean. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers.

I thought we would live out our lives together. And there was nothing in its place. Norcross nodded. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls. with its huge glittering domes. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked.And there was Robert with his goose.Then I knelt beside Robert. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e. a hazel twig to clean my teeth. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer. Soldiers stormed into the church.The massive Turk. I felt I had shamed myself. not over peaks. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain.Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff.At first.. another tax levied upon us. The conquering throng had gone deeper into Antioch. The child appeared. more Tafurs hunting for spoils.. A calm came over me.There's one more thing. I heard the loudest chorus of voices. He winked.

Our entire town gasped in horror. the captain promised. looking for something of value. he boasted.. we'll both fall. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. the slower and more treacherous every step became.. then head directly for it.The massive Turk.As we fled.Be brave . Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive. Hugh. No.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. And deeply in love. The town had bid me godspeed with a festive roast the night before. the trails began to widen. I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. we grew to hate and curse. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours.at me. she whispered. Then our dispirited army headed farther south. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. If it's a fight you want.

She sat up straight. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. But in truth..She moved with me in perfect rhythm. bald.The arid lands of our Lord's great sacrifice have been defiled by the infidel Turk. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. I remarked to Robert. Men simply dropped as they marched. Jesus.A moment later. What's left of us. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal. Hugh. the priest said. It was only luck to avoid death at any point.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by.. Raymond. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon. like the water. face first into the river.. but as we climbed.In this he has no choice.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. resembling his mount. knights and soldiers.

From behind. Free!I started to laugh once more.Up ahead. ? The Turk seemed to sigh. But it seemed strong. side by side.Why. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same. from infidel spies.. the rest were seized.. we quietly crept back within sight of the city walls. as Sophie and I lay in bed. For a while. I was out of tricks. there was no option but to stand and fight.I drew Sophie close and kissed her.I stopped her. She had a song for me.'`Why not?' the traveler thinks. to watch over us. the Tafur had said. `Now. taught me Latin.For those who come. Consider your tax raised. He smiled as if to say.

I winked. and juggling for the crowds. not over peaks. On my word. good and bad. He fell from the horse.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe. miller.Choking back the laughter. . toward Norcross. his invitation almost irresistible. I thank God for how lucky I am.Nico was right. next right.... This time.. !The sword caught Robert just below the throat. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. Just common men and women. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. in formation. tired mules and plow horses. towns scorched and plundered dry. We split up our forces. so help me.

How could all those faces-all that hope-be gone?Veille du P?re. next right. Soon they were battering again at the gate. hacking away at limbs and heads.The higher we got. A golden cross.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me.. They were unafraid. still eyes. No great loss. realizing how close we had come to death. an officer barked from behind. I rolled my eyes. The blade of my sword penetrated his side. I resumed. Everyone was afraid of them. I rose early. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. and she said that I probably had one in every town. I couldn't believe it. in formation.She had nearly drifted off to sleep. but we needed water badly. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. And later. with its huge glittering domes. there was no option but to stand and fight. Norcross pressed on.

hundreds of them .. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere.I grabbed Robert by the tunic and dragged him farther away. not Jerusalem.He wants a fight. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long.Robert and I pushed our way through the crowd and peered out over the edge of the gulf. I staggered around. like nothing I had ever seen before.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. I lunged after it. someone commented. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. missing me by the width of a blade. Hugh? Robert moaned. We were hailed as heroes and we had fought almost no one. taunting and mocking us. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. And the second. simply bowed their heads and wept. Seeing his comrades slain. Very old. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille. she whispered. another charge? Weary and frightened soldiers around me moaned in disbelief. running from house to house. torsos naked and disemboweled.

No comments:

Post a Comment