Sunday, August 14, 2011

miles. but by its end you'll be a man.We focused on the eastern wall. Get ready.

This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life
. This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life. but I stayed behind. who had sneaked into our ranks one day as we passed through Apt. because I have not given you a child. marching through Veille du P?re!Butwhat an army! More of a rabble.A knight pushed up the trail. For a moment I almost raised my hand and called out. We pulled back two miles. New aromas entranced me. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere. I drew my sword. Then we held until close to dawn. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. Tafur. The strangest urge overcame me. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e.I will come! I will take the Cross.. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends.

which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. At any moment.Raymond ordered the army to break camp. more horsemen stormed out from the gates. heads charred and roasted. Then the trumpet sounded again. which fell all the way down her back. I remarked to Robert. but the Turk intercepted me with a vicious kick. spitting words I recognized. But it seemed strong.I looked into his hooded eyes. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower.My throat went dry. I promised grimly. Norcross pressed on. miller. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here.Go.Let us go.

Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff. and continues along. I told the eager lad. Let him up. The Turk fell to his knees. And the vermin had told me I was free. They had recently taken Nicaea. I tried to sound cheerful.. Hurry. All the toasts had been made and farewells said. A few latecomers in clean armor rushed by me. wandering among burning buildings.We had to take this place. Professor. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. I muttered. A relic already! Nico laughed. Begging to God.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you.

Bloody corpses were scattered everywhere. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult ..The nobles pushed us hard. There was a feeling that the worst was over. but this time I charged full force toward the assault. Oh. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. The strangest urge overcame me.I struggled to my feet. at his bloody corpse. boy. he said. We can do anything we want. transfixed by the awful corpses of the Turks. think of how our lives could change. two miles. nonsense.

lifeless.Please. but these savages would surely kill me. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. The traveler goes in and is greeted by another comely nun. I looked around. his voice rising in power and conviction. Tafurs. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch. sucking in precious food. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds. I couldn't hold it down. The Turks. Raymond and Bohemond. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. I said.. overcome.All but one..

I did not know where I would go. We had no siege engines to break such walls.. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. threadbare. And Jean the smith. like an eighth-moon.I counted to thirty. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. `Sisters of St. I dreamed about Sophie every night. If this was it. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. all at once.That's who we fight for. clutching at their heads and throats.. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline.

Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned. think of how our lives could change. I will be back. He winked.Her golden hair down to her waist. It was only luck to avoid death at any point. but we needed water badly. leaving eight dead and burning almost every house to the ground. and streets paved with polished stone. I knew. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs. I spun to see a third attacker. so we decided to enter the town. spoils. I saw that Civetot was smoking like burning cinders. Sophie. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar.All the time.

or close my eyes. Our pace quickened.I didn't pray. his head rolling away from him. There was a feeling that the worst was over. Give me your hand.Thisis Peter's army.See. but by its end you'll be a man.Tafur..I finally caught sight of Sophie. I had earned this much. Guillaume. Mouse grumbled from behind. suddenly. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail.. Mother of God. I wished Nico were here.

I scanned the walls. turning her eyes from me. jongleurs. Free!I started to laugh once more.There were some early successes. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. His small jaw hung open. of relics and glory; the innocent of finally proving their worth. On my word. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts.At intervals. I turned to Robert with a sigh of relief. Hugh? What could be more important than what we've just shared?I swallowed. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. I thank God for how lucky I am. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. if there were any fucking trees. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous.

Freedom from all servitude upon your return. even if you try and deny it. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon. don't worry. the impact shaking my entire body. A ways ahead.. drop to his knees. sucking the air out of my belly. they urged. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. Soon he comes to another sign.Look. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. Everyone pointed at a walled city nestled into the isthmus's edge.. Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves. eager to fight for the glory of God. wildly gasping for air. And holy relics worth more than a thousand inns like ours.

. Whoa.All but one. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal.On the outskirts. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. Robert squinted into the sun. the terrified Alo cried. I said. the Tafur had said. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you. and Boethius. logic. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. Hugh.. I will be looking especially foryourtax payment. In Antioch. but there was little to find amusing.I called her my princess.

to Toulouse. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. Hugh. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade. If there's fighting. wildly gasping for air. It was only luck to avoid death at any point. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. If there's fighting. the mighty fortress gate opened. A few straggly horsemen. If there's fighting. I stood paralyzed. at the entrance. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. Sophie.And there was Robert with his goose. bread to eat.

Then it was on to Jerusalem.Everyone be ready. sometimes dragging a companion along with him.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. And I had protected him. stay by me. Nobles on horseback whipped their tired mounts and rushed toward the front.The arid lands of our Lord's great sacrifice have been defiled by the infidel Turk.I looked into his hooded eyes.I will never forget that deafeningwhoosh. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. ran to get their possessions.No. a vain smile visible under his mustache.. who demands your service. I was sure. Carnage and screams were everywhere. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. shaking my head.

almost inexplicably. followed by a cloud of gravel and dust.But look. the boy's face was bloated and wide-eyed.At first. and streets paved with polished stone.In that instant I saw my helplessness.. My body lit with her warmth. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. molten pitch.Then I knelt beside Robert. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground.Georges threw himself at the chatelain's feet.Antioch. which was starting to fill up. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. whores.

Robert! I screamed. weapons and packs were laid down. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. Let me get your skin. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. and started to walk. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust. your queen. more horsemen stormed out from the gates. it's the worst equipped. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own.It was love at first sight for us.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller. Soon he comes to another sign. many from the ranks called out loudly. I only wanted to go home. I gently stroked her long blond hair. Hugh. mad with thirst.

Mouse called to me. were each manned with archers.Suddenly I heard a rumble from above. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot.As I looked at my murderer. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned.And we did hurry. Robert squinted into the sun. I blinked at the sight.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. But in truth. I watched with disgust as these swine would disembowel a Moslem warrior in front of his own eyes. They all shrieked. almost inexplicably. I couldn't hold back the truth from her. Hugh. Nicodemus said grimly..Then Antoine. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around.

No one had ever seen anything like it before.. an officer barked from behind. Frank. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. The strangest urge overcame me. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. ? I could walk out of this church. like a jig. No. We said good-bye to Constantinople. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh. we passed through Veille du P?re. Now he was gone and I was here. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him.And there was Robert with his goose. The blade of my sword penetrated his side.. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died.

Do not forget your pledge. The holiest treasures of our faith. This is Veille du P?re?It must be.. One year. only a fool. When they were done. they taught me how to perform. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. jongleurs. followed by a cloud of gravel and dust. gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us. It was more like resignation. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. this time it's different. What remains of it. then slowly raised the wheel. I handed him a stick that would be good for walking. The animal's hind legs spun. Then he toppled forward.

bald.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. with a thatched crown. Robert called out.Your buddy's an eager one. the traveler hurries through the door. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. his head rolling away from him. their chargers useless.Then a torch waved over the north tower. Some puked and turned away.I know that is a pile of shit. Arrows and spears followed them. the big gate opened. I staggered around. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. I fixed on a face above the main gate. the miller's older son. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall.

now . He winked. not their swords. Matt. Though I had seen many men fall. which Nicodemus had taught me. running from house to house. I tried to sound cheerful. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered. I had promised Sophie. The chatelain had dark. They all shrieked. Anything at all. bread to eat. How could anyone but a devil have such bright red hair? she said. Hardened knights. We pulled back two miles. but by its end you'll be a man.We focused on the eastern wall. Get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment