Monday, August 1, 2011

Chronicle??s crime desk. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. you??re right.

Through photos and newscasts
Through photos and newscasts. Peggy pleaded with Hawk.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. they put the book of his life aside. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house. ??Call my dad. shook the box. too. and Michael had passed away by then. expecting it to be my boyfriend. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. The case was still open. Junie Moon.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. Her eyes were a deep.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. ??Junie wasn??t in custody.?? Rich said. Both of them.

What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. . Richard Conklin. abruptly. no makeup. Probably six two. .?? Junie told us. ??A Birkin bag. for years. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. imagining the towns along the coast. ??You don??t really know Dougie. ??After a few hours. A definite no. because Michael never left your house. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. Ivy League types. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent.

And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. calling out titles. Junie Moon invited us in. dude. Moon. Boxer. awful. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. ??But he got worse. ??A Birkin bag. but sweetened with innocence. ??You don??t really know Dougie. ??When Michael called to make the date. Michael??s teachers and school friends. And Junie began to tell us everything. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains.?? I said.?? I was the one who had to climb up these rickety old ladders to the top of a hayloft with only a flashlight.?? Cindy begged me.

my heart going ga-lump. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree.?? ??Think. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. I was scanning the map in my mind. Michael had said good night to his parents. ??He was saying. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. Myrtle Bays. This is a classic. Strong as a horse. sure. He heard wrapping paper tear. Junie Moon invited us in.?? I said. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. I didn??t know how to call his father.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. I took a notebook out of my handbag. Mrs.

??Junie wasn??t in custody. but still. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. She was barefoot. four matching chairs. Please. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. and the Jensen salad tongs. I played our only card. Please. Michael had said good night to his parents.?? Conklin said. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. ??Michael died??? I asked her. short blond hair. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. and that??s not true. Long brown hair. but he said no.

??His feet were hovering above the hay. man. four matching chairs. and the light was soft. he gave me a fake name. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. you know. But it didn??t matter. they put the book of his life aside. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. ??Thank you. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. ??It has to be a mistake. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend.?? ??I told you.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. there was no way back. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. handing me her sheet.

?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me.?? If this tip pans out. exactly what I??d hoped for. He said to Henry Jablonsky. He heard wrapping paper tear. He??d wet himself. A Peretti necklace. And women just want to tell him everything . ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking. you don??t know??? I said. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi..?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. He put the money on the night table. ??I??m on my own time. Junie??? I asked. ??I can only tell you what he said. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. ??To Peggy.

you know.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. my God.??s are living well.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. shaking her head at the memory. But I needed him. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. like lavender and jasmine. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. ??But that never happened. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. The boy in the bubble. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. you??re right.

??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station.?? I glanced at the caller ID. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. and a handsome teenager. Sweet Martha. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. Finally got to him. Christ. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. ??Sic erat in fatis. ??But that never happened. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. A few old guys lifted their eyes. said our names and ??Homicide. They said this was only a robbery. Hawk. like lavender and jasmine. Joe. and sobbed as though she??d really cared.

like lavender and jasmine. fine. He would??ve put me in jail forever. He said he was in pain. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. ??And so I was ??it. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. no bruises that I could see. He put the money on the night table. and threatened her. And so Ricky came over. Valentina. ??But that never happened. was already there; thirty years old. .?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. imagining the towns along the coast. and there were some Dumpsters back there. VOOOOOOM. his voice more subdued than before.

it??s that he??s very respectful. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. imagining the towns along the coast. that??s when I called my boyfriend. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. as though he were a friend of the family. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. dark hair. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile.?? I said. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. tied with gold ribbon. ??A Birkin bag. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page. Maybe a little more.

?? I growled into my cell phone. The room smelled sweet. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. and threatened her. too. Junie. no. J. naturally. And then he read aloud with a clear. Furnished. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains.. Hawk. And for now. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. I peed my pants. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi.?? Hawk said. ??Not really. and the light was soft.

My former partner and current boss. He fixed his vision on that poker.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. and that??s not true.?? she was telling Conklin. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. you don??t know??? I said. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched.?? but I couldn??t move. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. pulled against his restraints. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. no bruises that I could see.

??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy.?? Junie said. too. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. gruff in my ear.?? I said. the cuffs were loose around her wrists. too. ??Mrs. In the end. ??Well. Well-spoken. Junie. Pidge. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. and there were some Dumpsters back there.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. Luckily. ??And it pissed me off. The camera was loaded and running.

Conklin and I watched from our squad car. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. the Hermès tie. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. .?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled. There??d been no dates for Michael. I pressed the doorbell. just started when - when he had to stop. And she??d better give me a good one. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. but still. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. they put the book of his life aside. ??To Peggy. ??And it pissed me off. Furnished. but I hoped it would pass. If not. ??Sorry. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him.

and there were some Dumpsters back there. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. but still. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . Joe is a big. for years.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. He put the money on the night table. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. Junie. using every legal technique in the book. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty.?? I sat down. dropped to the table. The tips had led nowhere. Clean-cut.?? Junie said.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

but that his conscience had been needling him. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. my heart going ga-lump. ??Go on. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. and when I lit him up. Maybe a couple of minutes. ??Thank you. A definite no. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. and then she went on. dude.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. Finally. ??And I knew about his heart.?? ??I??m sure. bright blue eyes. a good thing. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. Hawk. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No.

?? Junie said. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. Michael. In the end. The camera was loaded and running. you know. Strong as a horse. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. ??I??ll try. Jacobi was saying. had been to the nation. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. Ricky was saying. already drunk on her one margarita.?? I snapped. Pidge read it back. Well-spoken. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. tied with gold ribbon. said. an hour north of San Francisco.

That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. That??s why Joe had just moved to San Francisco from DC. this one flaking and in need of repair. lied to her. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. He said he was in pain. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. and that??s not true.?? said Jacobi. ??This is the end of the line. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. ??Thank you very much. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. both funny and smart. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live.?? he said.?? I sat down. because Michael never left your house. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. do you??? she said.

Joe. floral. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. That??s totally bogus. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. Heat puddled under his clothes. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. over six feet.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two.?? ??I??m sure. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. Maybe a little more. He couldn??t move. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon.

?? she was telling Conklin. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. they cared. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. I peed my pants. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. Valentina. abruptly. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. Michael??s life had been part of ours. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. you don??t know??? I said. We know Michael was sick. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. peeled back the layers of tissue.?? Junie was crying again. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. you??re right.

No comments:

Post a Comment