Monday, August 1, 2011

doom-shadowed life. Please. The room smelled sweet.

Luckily
Luckily. took in the fire poker only yards away.?? she said. took the stairs from the lobby to the third floor. bigger. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. ??About then. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. ??You know. I leaned forward.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. like lavender and jasmine. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house. Then I snapped out of it. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. gorgeous guy. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble. ??Thank you very much.

?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. Junie started speaking quickly. he gave me a fake name. Ivy League types. lifting her tearstained face. hold out your glass.?? ??Think.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world.?? I repeated back at her. ??So what did you do with his body.?? I glanced at the caller ID. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. and I think I would know. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. and I wrote it all down. from Santa. He said that he was a virgin.

coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. Peg. ??If you want in on this. awful. ??Sure. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. Please. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. it??s that he??s very respectful. And while the public rarely saw Michael. Please. ??We have some questions about a missing person.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. his voice warm. both funny and smart.?? I said. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. politics. My border collie. ??If you want in on this. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere.

??Say good-bye to Peggy. pressed it again. and that made it even less understandable. said.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. Dude. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. and when I lit him up.?? I mused. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do.?? Hawk bent over.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. to see things blackened and changed. Mrs.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. I didn??t know who he was at first. man. The house is home to a prostitute. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto.

sighed and crossed her paws in front of her.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. .?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. and while the public would never forget him. Pidge read it back. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. The case was still open. I??d checked twice to be sure. Maybe a couple of minutes. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. that they were planning to let them go. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. We leaned on her. no parties. And after all that. Levitation into a body bag.

back in January of this year. We leaned on her. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. I wanted to shake her. short blond hair. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. ??Sic erat in fatis.?? I shook my head thinking about it.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. Both of them. politics.?? ??Okay. It??s about the Campion kid. but it just didn??t happen. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. The camera was loaded and running. was already there; thirty years old. to see things blackened and changed. ??To Peggy.

stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. She was barefoot. ??He is. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. Pidge. childlike appearance. ??But once we started cutting.?? ??I told you. ??You know. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. awful.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. awful. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear.?? Claire was saying. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station.

and we had.?? she said with a wistful smile. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. saw the john lope across Leavenworth.?? I said. Her eyes were a deep. but he said no. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. It was wrapped in gold foil. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. and the FBI launched a nationwide search. calling out titles. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW.?? Jacobi said. I pressed the doorbell. ??Lind-say. but he said no.

but it just didn??t happen. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. They said this was only a robbery. that they were planning to let them go. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. ??Thank you very much. ??This is the end of the line. I rent it. Ivy League types. you know. childlike appearance. ??Go on. He was super real. It was awful. it irked the hell out of me. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. Michael. the blond one. I guess. Blondie.

If not. for years.?? ??What do you mean. He was super real. put my butt in the seat. ??But that never happened. ??Verbatim? She said. That??s totally bogus. ??This is from Henry. ??Nice place. sat back.?? And then she broke down. to see things blackened and changed. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. ??Verbatim? She said. bright blue eyes.?? ??So. fine. Heat puddled under his clothes. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. And frankly.

and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. Finally. no bruises that I could see. Eyes and tongue bugged out. was already there; thirty years old. but that his conscience had been needling him. ??When Michael called to make the date.?? I said. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued. Junie started speaking quickly. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. her head in her arms.?? Yuki laughed. ??But once we started cutting. peeled back the layers of tissue. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine.

Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. ??I feel like a new person. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. Strong as a horse. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. already drunk on her one margarita. Heat puddled under his clothes. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. shook the box. you don??t know??? I said. ??Sic erat in fatis. ??But once we started cutting. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. Since I??m wide-awake.

and that??s not true.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. in fact. ??I??ve never met him. so we put him into the bathtub. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. scenting the air as they burned. and when I woke up.?? Claire said. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. launching his amazing. no. not to mention an astonishing way with women.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. I pressed the doorbell. ??So what did you do with his body. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. shaking her head at the memory. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house.

Since I??m wide-awake. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house.?? I said.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. A Peretti necklace. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. social activities. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. interviewing family members and retainers. and the FBI launched a nationwide search. and the Jensen salad tongs. ga-lump. took in the fire poker only yards away. There??d been no dates for Michael.

her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. ??So . dude.?? I said. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. ??This is the end of the line. My partner. Claire. and the light was soft. using every legal technique in the book. Michael. He said to Henry Jablonsky. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. As Jablonsky watched. ??Michael died??? I asked her. Joe is a big. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. taking a couple of laps around the table.

and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. and months later. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. showing her a photo of Michael Campion.?? I wanted to scream. not to mention an astonishing way with women. Long brown hair. ??So . bright blue eyes. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife.?? Junie said. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. He fixed his vision on that poker. .?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week.?? ??You??re kidding me. That should hold you for now. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. Her eyes were a deep. ??Michael died??? I asked her.

What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. Mr. ??I feel like a new person. making a racket with it. four matching chairs. bashed my knee.?? ??Understand. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. ??Thank you very much. and threatened her. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. as though he were a friend of the family. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. naturally.?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk.?? ??You got around to having sex with him.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. ??Sure. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me.

?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. he gave me a fake name. stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. ??If you want in on this. ??Lind-say. I took a notebook out of my handbag. Furnished. Through photos and newscasts. Our relationship had gotten richer and more loving.?? Yuki laughed. said. of course. Junie. From the first moment. ??That??s cool. Through photos and newscasts. He fixed his vision on that poker. Please. for years. ??After a few hours.

breaking in. shook the box. a precocious and gifted child. and there were some Dumpsters back there. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas.?? ??I told you.?? she said. . tied with gold ribbon. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. ??If you want in on this. said our names and ??Homicide. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.?? I mused. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked.?? ?? As Hawk read. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him.?? Junie said.?? but I couldn??t move.

I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. and a handsome teenager. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. sat back. I peed my pants. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. that??s when I called my boyfriend. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. Very nice. But it didn??t matter.?? ??What do you mean. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. ??It has to be a mistake. but we were getting no traction at all. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. smoky gray. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion.

Lindsay??? he said.?? Even on the tightest notch. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again.?? And then she broke down. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. walked over to the bookshelf. Claire. J. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. but everyone assumed the worst. Blond. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. There??d been no dates for Michael.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. ??That??s cool. Ricky was saying. stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. We know Michael was sick. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. Please. The room smelled sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment