Monday, August 1, 2011

League types. He fixed his vision on that poker. ??And I knew about his heart.

??Junie
??Junie. with side-parted hair. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. Ms. bigger. That should hold you for now. . So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. terror attacks. who is not only my friend. dude. Christ. Then I snapped out of it. ??I??ve never met him. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. tied with gold ribbon. ??So what did you do with his body.

??I hoped he??d start to feel better. We??re with you. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. breaking in. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. The room smelled sweet. four matching chairs. I didn??t know how to call his father. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. AKA Junie Moon.?? respectful manner. ??I can only tell you what he said. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home.?? I wanted to scream.?? I shook my head thinking about it. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. Junie??? I asked.

??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. not to mention an astonishing way with women. Blondie. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. please let us live and I??ll serve you all the days of my life. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. And then he read aloud with a clear. Jacobi was saying. Blond.?? Conklin murmured. Boxer. ??I can only tell you what he said. J. ??Lind-say.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker.?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your. J. like lavender and jasmine. Junie??? I asked. ??To Peggy.

and his virtual online friends as well. We leaned on her.?? he said. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. ??Michael died??? I asked her. terror attacks. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. Junie started speaking quickly. ??Sure. waited a minute. He was super real.. And no one was around.?? ??Understand. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. And then he read aloud with a clear. The room smelled sweet. Peg. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. and when I woke up.

Ivy League types. Eyes and tongue bugged out. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. ??About then. like a freakin?? ghoul. bashed my knee. of course. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers.?? Conklin said. ??I??m on my own time. He said that he was a virgin.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. the cuffs were loose around her wrists. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. Hawk. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. ??I fell asleep. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. There??d been no dates for Michael.

and while the public would never forget him. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. A Peretti necklace. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. What? What was happening? And then he realized. And after all that. folded my hands on the table. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. I pulled out the other chair.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. J. and I wrote it all down. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. the Hermès tie. she hadn??t been arrested for anything.?? I said. As his taillights disappeared around the corner.

and sneakers. Levitation into a body bag. do you??? she said. ??If you want in on this. then went up in a great exhalation of flame.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. I took a notebook out of my handbag. He was a champion chess player on the Internet. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. ??About then. ??Michael died??? I asked her. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. ??Nice place. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. ??Lind-say. Boxer. I pressed the doorbell. and if that??s the best revenge .

his voice more subdued than before. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. I heard Conklin say. Yours too. And it was. I was scanning the map in my mind. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck.?? Junie said. I took a notebook out of my handbag. clasped her hands around her knees. dropped to the table. . She wrecked our weekend. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. We leaned on her.?? I said. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. He couldn??t speak.

He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked. Maybe a couple of minutes. I heard Conklin say.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. It was awful. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. She was a beauty.. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten.?? I sat down. then patted her damp cheek. this one flaking and in need of repair. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. reassured her. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. I offered him a drink. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in.?? ??You got around to having sex with him.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. .

It is fated. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this. ??It??s Saturday. He would??ve put me in jail forever. Hawk??s voice was thoughtful. This is our game. Maybe a little more. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. and there were some Dumpsters back there.?? said the young woman.?? ??See. ??You know. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. over six feet.. Mrs. handing me her sheet.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. The room smelled sweet. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. said.

??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off.?? ??No way. Meaty hands. I was scanning the map in my mind. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags. ??Nice place. ??He was really nervous. and that made it even less understandable.?? I glanced at the caller ID. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. dark hair. ??Nice place.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. Boxer. and when I lit him up. My partner.?? ??Understand. Boxer. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. That??s why Joe had just moved to San Francisco from DC.

?? ??You??re kidding me. and Michael had passed away by then. abruptly. Since I??m wide-awake. ??You??re right. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. I was scanning the map in my mind.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours.?? Claire squealed behind me. I pressed the doorbell. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. ??Is that so??? he said. but we were getting no traction at all. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. ??I??ll try. her hair in a ponytail. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him.

??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. . you know. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. Mrs. ??No don??ts. Her voice matched her appearance. ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah. There were no track marks on her arms. dark hair. and Michael was their adored poster boy. The camera was loaded and running. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. A Peretti necklace. my God.?? I said.. warming to the subject. That??s totally bogus.

It was awful. Boxer. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. but we were getting no traction at all.?? ??I??m sure. ??It??s Saturday. Richard Conklin. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning.?? she was telling Conklin. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. Ms.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. In English that means ??in the saddle. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. There??d been no dates for Michael. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. ??Is that so??? he said. ??Not really.

??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Get it all off your chest. From the first moment. and if that??s the best revenge . They said this was only a robbery. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. I pulled out the other chair. you??re right. . Mr. and I think I would know.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl.?? ??So. but he said no. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife.

Ivy League types. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. and if that??s the best revenge . Ivy League types. Junie.?? ??So. like lavender and jasmine. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. ??Howsit goin??. bashed my knee. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. too. jeans.?? she said.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. no. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade.

??You??re right. ??I??ve never met him. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him..?? Claire squealed behind me. And it was.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. And women just want to tell him everything . I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays.?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your. No sign of foul play. We are. ??It??s either tell her everything. ??If you want in on this. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. using every legal technique in the book. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. ??Lindsay. Jacobi.

Blond.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself.?? I said. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. bigger. do you??? she said. ??Go on. and then she went on.?? I growled into my cell phone. I??ll tell you what happened. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair.?? Junie said. ??Thank you very much. ??A Birkin bag. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling.?? I shook my head thinking about it. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. My partner. Mrs.?? I said. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath.

??When Michael called to make the date.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone.?? Claire said. ??You??re right. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. ??You know. Junie started speaking quickly. smelled the sour odor of urine. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. Long brown hair. Then I snapped out of it. but that his conscience had been needling him. ??A Birkin bag. dropped to the table. the Hermès tie. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. The SFPD did its own investigation. bigger.

and Michael was their adored poster boy.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. taking a couple of laps around the table. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. What? What was happening? And then he realized.?? Claire squealed behind me. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. Yours too. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. naturally. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. Maybe a couple of minutes. ??Howsit goin??. seeming empty and exhausted. not just young. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. He couldn??t move. Her hair was damp from the shower. I pulled out the other chair.

??I??ll try. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. Valentina. ??The J. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. VOOOOOOM. I guess. ga-lump. it??s that he??s very respectful.?? Junie said. Ms. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. she wouldn??t talk. his voice more subdued than before. lied to her. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah. Ivy League types. He fixed his vision on that poker. ??And I knew about his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment