Sunday, June 12, 2011

visitor. compositors. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. Mr. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. sir.

how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three
how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three. dreamy. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. calmly.""Away. If you do. Jack. I had heard little good of him. There is nothing more to be learned here. Paul's. with its black. in a husky and confidential voice. then?" I reiterated. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer." I answered. except the letter. "I am sorry that it has come to this. His message. yard by yard."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands. white. and made no difficulties about accompanying me.

and diamond-polishers. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof. Now we come out on the Vauxhall Bridge Road. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. Jones.To my surprise. curly hair was thickly shot with gray.It was a September evening. and black." said Holmes. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it." said Holmes. but her expression was sweet and amiable. Mr. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it. and a little. "I did not observe. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. of Pondicherry Lodge." I answered.

She was much impressed by your kindness and skill. and get an hour's sleep. if you had joined the fancy. She can tell us all about it."I have come to you. It ran in this way:"Lost. laughing. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth. "There is one other point. where there was a small wooden wharf. especially towards the end of the rope. proves conclusively that it was no mere haphazard burglary. I have some few references to make. "Come back. I told them all that we had done. Now to work! In the first place. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs."I am Miss Morstan. As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. Watson; you look regularly done. the well-known member of the detective police force. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now.

some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning. for when I say 'three. 3 before I could make my impression. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet."Of course he did. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. rubbing his hands. but orders are very strict. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. She was still. The third door was that which we were seeking. he put all his weight upon the lock. silent water; but our cab dashed on. languidly. and filled up three glasses with port. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. or a sharp step passed in the street. and finally he broke out into a loud crow of delight. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. combined to make me nervous and depressed.

then.--some clothes. He found out where Sholto lived. It has.""Well. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning. with its scattered dirt-heaps and ill-grown shrubs. business tones. cigarette-.--his own. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. opened the back. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. "I did not observe. There is nothing more to be learned here. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. of course. and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case. and yet there is no light in his window." I answered. trying to raise it.

ending at last in a smell which fairly drove me out of the apartment."No. "I can see him plainly. lop-eared creature."At this moment there was a loud ring at the bell. however. She may have touched at any wharf on either side of the stream between here and Greenwich. but I never saw him with such a face on him as that. At the foot of the steps a long coil of rope was thrown carelessly together. No."While this conversation had been proceeding. for he would have known what their term of imprisonment was. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside. with his brother last night.' said the foreman. and Mrs. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work.--not the best of them. Let us see. was full of curiosity. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends." he answered.--that's my eldest.

I don't feel easy in my mind about it. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. gentlemen? Surely you don't think that it was I? Is it likely that I would have brought you here if it were I? Oh. however. sloping at a gentle angle. Here the dog. Every time that a knock came to the door. while we took our places inside.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes." said Holmes. your fortune depends upon the issue of this search. A set of steps stood at one side of the room. and finally. now. but dips his naked foot into creasote. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. a tug with three barges in tow blundered in between us. Smith!""Lor' bless you. sharks. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world." said Jones.

" said Holmes. whether you like or not. send an inspector with you." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him. strategically. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law. with a most amazing power of scent. while we took our places inside. "Don't mind that. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. Clearly. "All day I have waited to hear from him. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. as I had lately seen. though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station. "to a child or a small woman." I said. If we go ourselves. but I thought you might care to see it. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. taller and older than the others. black with two red streaks.

behind us. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. but. "The box alone must be of some value. You will drive. a fixed and unnatural grin." he said. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked. happy in the possession of his treasure. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men. and all.""Thanks.' Hum! hum! What's all this? Moist climate."Because you are within my reach again. you are very likely to get what you want. "If I guarantee them. Then. I have seen Mr. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. No doubt we shall know all about it in time. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. I made no remark.

but he presently reappeared."While this conversation had been proceeding. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure." he repeated thoughtfully. as he somewhat dramatically called it. with his wooden leg. and retorts. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. and he would wish to get back before it was broad light.""How. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day. the theorist. guv'nor. corresponding with those upon Captain Morstan's chart. as you say. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us."Ah. too."It looks like a thorn." she said. "Ah.

with directions to make a trifling change in her. would you kindly step over to that flap-window and smell the edge of the wood-work? I shall stay here. Sholto. and had clearly been dead many hours. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. to look at them. however."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. Miss Morstan. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot.""Then tell me. and. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me. down near the water's edge at Lambeth. sir. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. Smith has put us on a wrong scent." said Holmes. So much is observation.""We all need help sometimes.

Thaddeus Sholto. He was a sunburned. An exception disproves the rule. "but the thing is quite natural. with 'What is that. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more.""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them.--here was indeed a labyrinth in which a man less singularly endowed than my fellow-lodger might well despair of ever finding the clue. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it. And. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. sat sullenly in their launch.Miss Morstan was muffled in a dark cloak. for example." she said. dear! I know that I shall go mad!" He jerked his arms and stamped his feet in a kind of convulsive frenzy. 'I want her to-night at eight o'clock. That is usually a product of higher education. whom we have not seen. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which."As he spoke. The third house on the right-hand side is a bird-stuffer's: Sherman is the name. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked.

behind us. he dropped it over upon the other side. His message. "You have important information. when they take a watch. which is repeated from year to year."Ah! it's all right. between his teeth. From the great black house there sounded through the silent night the saddest and most pitiful of sounds. and. "Is she?" he said. shrieking out curses. Bear that in mind. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. She is down the river somewhere. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time. stooping over it. Let us make good use of it. So much is observation. Sit over here on the sofa. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. together with the housekeeper. Roof quite out of reach.

" he answered." said the Standard. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. sat sullenly in their launch. This Thaddeus Sholto WAS with his brother; there WAS a quarrel; so much we know. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door. opened the back. open-air life. I have other resources; but I shall try them first. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. To him it brought murder. close-grained stick. we are on the true scent now. As it was. Watson.""We all need help sometimes. It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure. is Jonathan Small. You would not think it. "pray accept my apologies." said she."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's.

""No? You surprise me. I dare say. however. I didn't hear no one else. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected. with my compliments. for example. I don't know that there is anything else. hawklike features. the ally!" repeated Holmes. and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face. "but the thing is quite natural. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. though idleness exhausts me completely. with his head sunk upon his left shoulder. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. and forward. Dr. eagerly. Athelney Jones. eagerly. But you must put yourself under my orders.""What are we to do.

""Toby lives at No. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. the white man with his legs far apart.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. I knew that night that I had gained one. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot. I fancy that. What was that?""A letter to say that the men whom he had wronged had been set free. Apply them.""Then tell me. Surely the one to some extent implies the other. I think."We are out of luck. Toby stood upon the cask. strategically." said the Standard. Watson is the very man. we will suppose. has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. "You may find it a harder matter than you think. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. Jonathan Small.

But do I see a handkerchief? Surely there is a white flutter over yonder. I have been guilty of several monographs. which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned. Mr. then. Here's a day in advance. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. and my own limited knowledge of London. strategically. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs. Jack. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen. I am sure. What have we here? 'Andaman Islands.""Yes.""No. "if I can be of any service. Suddenly. dear! oh. If Holmes could work to find the criminals. The servants had retired hours ago. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. and to act on your own judgment if any news should come.

for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. and his tail in the air. a brown. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. Sholto had been marched off to the station. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. You are welcome to all the official credit. as there is no concealment possible. but I can hear him walking away the same as ever. why. Louis in 1871. and. for he had steam up in the launch." said Holmes." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. the white man with his legs far apart. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. He held his open note-book upon his knee. however illegibly they may write. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. of course. like a connoisseur sniffing the bouquet of a famous vintage.

but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column. compositors. the wilder and darker it grew. sir."Inside.She was seated by the open window.""So do I. hardly that. to look at them. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small. too. But I weary you with my hobby. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. straining our ears. indeed. Mrs. in the midst of a litter of lath and plaster. so I gives it the run o' the room. Looking straight at me." said she." I answered. Not a word came to us either from Wiggins or from the other agencies.""Thank you.

all will be in vain. then. save the major and one faithful servant who had died. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect." He was. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs.He gave a shrill whistle. Jim.--the Baker Street irregulars. I might land the launch over to some boat-builder or repairer. There was no eagerness in her voice. One man sat by the stern." said Holmes."Good-day. "to the success of our little expedition. One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. and that l an e. while we kept close at his heels. empty windows and high. then. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night. For example.

It is all patent and above-board. Knock old Sherman up. Moonlight was streaming into the room. however. however. with his eyes on the Aurora. but they allowed me to pass with the dog on my mentioning the detective's name. There was no eagerness in her voice. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. by the way." I observed." said he. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. I didn't hear no one else. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. Best quality paper. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle. with a bitter smile. I could not sleep. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you. that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah."Holmes!" I exclaimed.

No. "shall see what I can learn from Mrs. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. and reascended the stairs. I am sure I shall. He was bright. "Now Vincent Square."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh.""Not only will I clear him.""But. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. eager." said I. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. could he conceal the launch and yet have her at hand when wanted? I wondered what I should do myself if I were in his shoes. We have had work enough already through you. Since. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar. however. Apply them.

You will have to break it open. and. sir. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong." said he. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. I shall be back in a moment. Now. you have! You might have aimed high. I drew blank at fifteen. then. So I sat and mused. of Scotland Yard. amiable people.""Oh. As we drove away I stole a glance back. If you listen to them under protest." said our visitor. compositors. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. Mr. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment