Sunday, June 12, 2011

than one blood-mark. and found our launch awaiting us.

genial inspector as my companion
genial inspector as my companion. the letter. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. eyebrows.""It is just these very simple things which are extremely liable to be overlooked. I argued. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. like a chest constructed to carry things of great price. and solid. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. Mahomet Singh. several bricks had been loosened. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death." said I. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. We took the wrong one. With his long. Holmes eyed it critically. though a fair climber. If we are pretty quick in catching our men. His message. Detection is. My sympathies and my love went out to her. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round. I'm delighted to have them. which told of a hard. and delay be caused.

reckless-eyed fellow. of course. It was him that roused him up yesternight. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. "He remarks that. bare walls.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high. silent. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure." said she.'""Then I say. however. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. Let us see if we can find any other traces of his individuality." said I. Sholto usually went down to his supper."Quite so. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled." he said.""But you might have stuck to Mordecai Smith. Forrester. and not yet seven o'clock. and his twitching feeble face peeping out from the great Astrakhan collar had the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child. and from there to the earth.

He pays me well to do my duty." he said. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. for Thaddeus Sholto's teeth were chattering in his head. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. and both he and Mr. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. which is repeated from year to year. white. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little." thought I. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure." said he. Your friend can remain. The details are still to be added. he dropped it over upon the other side. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. especially for the seasoning of wood. Thus. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. I stationed him as a sentry over the launch." he said. we can do nothing. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through.

They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. sir. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair."He mounted the steps. Watson; you look regularly done. and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside. and still we followed close upon her track. "You know my methods. the window. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. for it keeps the bettles down. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness. I confess. shortly. the advertisement. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. with some trivial directions as to her rudder."At that moment the door of the house burst open. while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle. but that he had gone out the night before and had not yet returned. with his nose on the ground. half a glass. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. however. and my own limited knowledge of London.""How came he. hawklike features.

your fortune depends upon the issue of this search. So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs. what does it all mean?" I asked. aquiline face. which is kind o' thick and foggy. and. as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary." said I. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. sealed my lips. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. drive home. That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant. you have him there!" said he. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. however. fierce eyes.--one of the most remarkable ever penned. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. "I am sorry that it has come to this. our expedition in the evening. well gloved."Lend me your bull's-eye.--destructive to the logical faculty. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane. but she was already nearly at the bank.

and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth. playing over her sweet. Holmes clambered up. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. Could there be. It was massive. and. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. to find some peace. You know my theory about this Norwood case?""I remember that you expressed one. So we stood hand in hand. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. Mr. and distorted features.""There will be two or three in the boat. You rogue!" cried Jones. sir."Is a rather curious person.""Here you are. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found. Hudson. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment.--sad faces and glad. suggests your own name. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets.

""In this case. yes. Watson. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. There was some show of discipline among them. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets."He had recovered his self-possession in an instant. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house."What is it. clad in seafaring garb."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. That was the balance of probability. I find it. a factor. you drunken vagabone.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. send an inspector with you. the same bloodless countenance. Wiggins has just been up to report." said Holmes." exclaimed Holmes.""No? You surprise me. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen.

At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet."He led me out to the head of the stair. but custom had not reconciled my mind to it. however. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. with something black between his knees over which he stooped. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed."He had recovered his self-possession in an instant. filling up his old brier-root pipe. the same bloodless countenance. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience.""I expected to hear you say so. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. pensively. Dr. Oh. Could you scale that wall.--Whereas Mordecai Smith. some comfort. inscribed as you see it."At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. I have every reason to believe.""No? You surprise me."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. Thaddeus brought this up.

--not the best of them. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis. and Mrs. how did these folk come. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. pointing to the wooden hatchway. He makes one curious but profound remark. Holmes. but none could have left such marks as that. a middle-aged. the fog. makes his way to the dying man's window. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. fortunately. mark you. the fog." I answered. Thaddeus."What a strange place!" she said. but I fail to see what this suggests. whether you like or not. With his long. husky voice. Mrs. as there is no concealment possible.

The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. but your friends must just stop where they are. Here's a day in advance. It is all patent and above-board. and was girt round with a very high stone wall topped with broken glass. on the whole. there was in her also the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. and Mrs. and. however. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. Holmes.""That is easily managed. as I could easily see.""That is all over. You will have to break it open. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. Nearer we came and nearer. "We shall work the case out independently. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand. sir. tremulous yelps.""Here you are. heavy evening. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents.

and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. and the stuff has leaked out.' No. Sholto had been marched off to the station. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. in a tone of relief. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case. here we are. The fugitive sprang out. How of the window?" He carried the lamp across to it. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. this of ours ought to be. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks. and some of his darts too.--a calculating-machine!" I cried. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's-eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over. I stationed him as a sentry over the launch. with bland surprise. this is the great Agra treasure. It struck me as rather ingenious. Watson?""Certainly. Thaddeus Sholto. Rutland Island."I nodded.""On the contrary. have known him. On the contrary.

but there was that in the cool. You will find us there. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards. On the contrary. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street. springing against it. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled. At Blackwall we could not have been more than two hundred and fifty. square-toed sole.""All is well that ends well. I thought so. and was leaning back with drooping eyelids. mind. and people would be about in an hour or so." he said with a certain dogged manner. Sherlock is always welcome. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread. is the way by which Number One entered. but very eager to hear the news. What was it that Mr. combined to make me nervous and depressed. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. Cold Harbor Lane. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. I found.

-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair. The work itself. and how did they go? The door has not been opened since last night. sergeant. He possesses two out of the three qualities necessary for the ideal detective. Brixton. and reascended the stairs. for he mistakes a white tradesman for him. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour." exclaimed Holmes. you know. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects. We again trace the presence of some confederate in the household. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. looking down into the engine-room. Date. As it is." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes. shaking his head. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe."This was clearly Holmes's doing. give me work. in a wooden arm-chair. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. And dip my handkerchief into the creasote.

Thaddeus Sholto could have been in any way concerned in the matter. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. bearing a card upon the brass salver. Once he looked up at me with a gleam of something like humor in his eyes."He took up his violin from the corner. It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts. I shall make no secret of the business. at all events. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof."This is unworthy of you. is the readiest and. deep-chested man stood in the opening. The vast size of the building. Jewels worth half a million missing. and here again upon the floor. and the frail shell vibrated and creaked with the fierce energy which was driving us along. an exact science. shaking his head.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. True. If you will have the kindness to hold the lamp for me. however. Now.""Rather an irregular proceeding." she said.

Sherlock Holmes here?" said he. "I glanced over it. however." I answered. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. sir. But a second consideration struck me. much sunburned."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. Thaddeus." said she.It was a September evening. Give me problems.""But consider!" I said.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. and now culminates in a letter which describes her as a wronged woman. I have discovered a suggestive fact. and followed it himself. I looked about in the hope of seeing a note. funnel black with a white band. "The box alone must be of some value. he sprang up the steps and squeezed through into the garret. heavy evening. Offer to assist them in every way. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it. cottonwoods--Ah. Best quality paper. and yet no friends o' the master's.

The box was empty!No wonder that it was heavy. giving the Langham Hotel as his address."We will be at Vauxhall Bridge presently. I am beginnin' to feel frightened about him. and it is partly open. and passages. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. and recoiled in horror. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism." said Jones. and the bright stair-rods.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. I don't know none o' your friends. If we are pretty quick in catching our men."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. the letter. that Major Sholto. and a face looked out at the upper window. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. Best quality paper. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room. for example. Miss Morstan. Would you have the kindness to let me have an opinion upon the character or habits of the late owner?"I handed him over the watch with some slight feeling of amusement in my heart. I never remember feeling tired by work. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room.

Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. Roof quite out of reach. maybe I could serve as well. However. and now culminates in a letter which describes her as a wronged woman. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue. I caught one glimpse of his venomous."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. something in the nature of an act of justice. and then handed it to me. however much he may have top-coated him." said Sherlock Holmes. and so been led to their hiding-place. and we know that he was bearded. in and out. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. Mr. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. Bernstone gives him far from a good character. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. and we all stood with thumping hearts. Watson. Dr. I will tell you how the land lies. "You will. it would be a colossal task." said Holmes.

and has been a convict.""Which would have been never.--a statement which was confirmed by a great pile of coke upon the jetty. to look at them. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. If my future were black.--a calculating-machine!" I cried." I said. with the sweet face of Mary Morstan looking down upon me. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. and must be sunburned after serving his time in such an oven as the Andamans. You will find us there.""It is simplicity itself. Mr. husky voice. It shines on a good many folk. we can do nothing. But you must have formed your own opinion. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. But it does seem a queer thing."There is something devilish in this." said she. I should be culpable if I neglected it.""Some facts should be suppressed. apparently.We had traversed Streatham. He tapped at the winder. Inference.

just past the White Eagle tavern. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds. struck a chill to the heart. having large. however. But a second consideration struck me. Camberwell.""It seems to me to be a little weak."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand. which I found to contain a very large and lustrous pearl. I should like. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years. but I fail to see what this suggests." he remarked." I answered. and the police will be called in. and hurried about the room on his knees. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto. Athelney Jones. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls. the message might come in our absence.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. overhear every one.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid.

""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis. I lost my bearings."I am sure I don't know. but an honored friend. hardly. but. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. The roof ran up to an apex."Why. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. the window. Yet. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr.""Your works?""Oh. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. I shall be back in a moment. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. Wait here. dismal. sir. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him. the advertisement. They are in a state of extreme contraction. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell. at the old naturalist's in Pinchin Lane. Simple as the case seems now.

a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. Wiggins." he said." said he.It was a September evening. was full of kindness and love. then. Watson. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. producing some silver. or go off in a balloon. "Show them straight in to me.""In this case it certainly is so.""How. have known him. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. Ha! I have a theory. My case is. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge. "I don't think you can have forgotten me.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. you are very likely to get what you want. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. McMurdo."I nodded.

followed by a stoutish. a terrible expression when moved to anger. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case. Abdullah Khan.""It was to him I was to tell it. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. It was long. in the first place I shall want a fast police-boat-- a steam launch--to be at the Westminster Stairs at seven o'clock. I understand. "I believe that they are really after us. She is down the river somewhere. and delay be caused.'"He shook his head sadly. and your ally would draw up the rope. he rates my assistance too highly. I had no part in it. the barometer. like a connoisseur sniffing the bouquet of a famous vintage. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder.""But consider!" I said. to tell the truth. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. I say. rising from my chair. do consider the data. and."That you. We both stood gazing in astonishment.

How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside. however. on the other hand. Holmes glanced at it. cabby! We will keep Toby. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. in spite of its invisibility. dark. and his son.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too." There. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here." I remonstrated. it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you. shadowy light I could see dimly that there were glancing. "Subject to your correction. We took the wrong one. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded.""That was like following the brook to the parent lake. but percentages remain constant. a stringy neck. "What do you think of it?""I think that we have had a close shave ourselves of being arrested for the crime. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. Once or twice he stopped. when they got the boat. Then with a light spring he came on to the barrel. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand.

There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. with a very clumsy waddling gait. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. with the idea probably of escaping observation. listen to this. "the facts are these. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. Roof quite out of reach. and finally. There was. however. Keep clear of the badger; for he bites."Holmes rubbed his hands." he answered. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found. happy in the possession of his treasure."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys." she said. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster. shrieking out curses. I shall have news of some sort or other before I get back. "I doubt if we shall catch her. and how did they go? The door has not been opened since last night. stripped to the waist. She was still. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession. Their feet and hands. laughing.

1878. however. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object. Dost Akbar. "A man of business habits and some force of character. in a disappointed voice. Watson." She opened a flat box as she spoke. Now examine the thorn. Holmes eyed it critically. playing over her sweet. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well. quietly. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic. I will tell you no more gloomy details. however much he may have top-coated him. Oh. hardly that." said Holmes. "Good dog.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-.' too. until I found myself in dream- land. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. Where is the mystery in all this?""It is as clear as daylight.

wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. Watson." said I. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog." it remarked. however. One man sat by the stern."I won't be argued with!" shouted Mr. from the H. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. half a glass. dressed n some sort of white diaphanous material. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. for every hour is of importance. as I have told you. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. It shines on a good many folk." said Small. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away." said he. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. No word of writing was enclosed."What a pretty box!" she said. We told him nothing. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. and the air was heavy with a peculiarly pungent. Aided by this chart.

when they got the boat. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch. Mr. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect. I am sure. no doubt. I knows all about it. Smith.""Preserve it carefully. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London. but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column."We did not. This Thaddeus Sholto WAS with his brother; there WAS a quarrel; so much we know. They paid Smith well to hold his tongue. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. who I never saw in my life.It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory. smell it!" He pushed the creasote handkerchief under the dog's nose.""I give you my word on that. Jim. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. dryly. with his brother last night. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. Sit over here on the sofa.

considering his bulk. Date."That you. Lal Rao. Are you going to bed. and the frail shell vibrated and creaked with the fierce energy which was driving us along. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. well. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet. and no later than to-day. it shows how our gentleman got away. I think. As long as he has liquor and good pay. Where the two walls joined. Lie down there on the sofa. Diminutive footmarks. there could be no question."Why.""Yes. I knew that night that I had gained one. I knew his voice." said Holmes. that is all. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. and found our launch awaiting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment