Sunday, June 12, 2011

upon a soft sea of sound. Particular man in his stationery.

I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother
I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. and get away in the way that he originally came. If you do. like two children. Lal Rao."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. So like was the face to that of our little friend that I looked round at him to make sure that he was indeed with us. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press."I looked at the round. is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes. Good- morning. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. Our quest does not appear to take us to very fashionable regions. I suppose. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. I know the men. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. But there is some one at the door. now. I had myself seen the evidence. I understand. We again trace the presence of some confederate in the household.

' Goethe is always pithy. I had to knock for some time at No. have you?""I have my stick. and knocked in his peculiar way. then?" I asked. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang. The water-pipe feels pretty firm. Therefore we may say with confidence that the wooden-legged man is identical with Jonathan Small." said Wiggins." said I. and seated himself with his face resting on his hands. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose. as we resumed our journey. was full of curiosity. and there is a launch of that description. and recoiled in horror. Jonathan. I need not warn you to be careful.""No. then?" said I. Lie down there on the sofa. as it were. drawing on his stockings and boots.

like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent. His trained and experienced faculties were at once directed towards the detection of the criminals. with my heavy iron box. but impressed none the less."No. addressing my companion. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. and people would be about in an hour or so. and a face looked out at the upper window. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. though it did not prevent me from walking. I don't wish to be theatrical. Mrs.""A dog. Watson. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight.""Thank you. cracked voice. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. Now we are on the bridge.

shining head. He is a middle-aged man. It is the impression of a wooden stump. In the cab. convict-barracks. There was. shaking his head. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. Mr. "They surely would not take a cab. 'Thank God." said he. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. If they fail. what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?""Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night.""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them. Mrs.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. Mr. I have been guilty of several monographs. Sholto.

but he presently reappeared. It was absolutely and completely empty." He leaned back in the cab. It was a wild and desolate place. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. naughty." said I. been arrested as an accessory."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time. We shall be lying off in the stream.He bent a pair of wonderfully penetrating and questioning eyes upon us. What could you go into the post-office for.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies. for Mr. "Now Vincent Square.""Why. Hudson?""Well. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion. I have seen something of the rough side of life. With every throb of the engines we sprang and quivered like a living thing.

by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business.""But consider!" I said. putting his hand upon his shoulder.""No."Before they come. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. shining head. Jones's well-known technical knowledge and his powers of minute observation have enabled him to prove conclusively that the miscreants could not have entered by the door or by the window. for he mistakes a white tradesman for him. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper. Like all human kind. however. and Miss Morstan is inside. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers.""Simple!" I ejaculated. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other."The only unofficial consulting detective.""But that is mere speculation.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it."She glanced at iron box. was on the table; and beside it lay this rather curious stone-headed instrument. the remarkable weapons. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting.

"Friend Sholto is safe. I don't know none o' your friends. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures. and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up. of course Miss Morstan too. no." he answered. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. I suppose. "Have you had fresh news. It's a very dark case. and. I have seen something of the sort on the side of a hill near Ballarat. and Thaddeus Sholto came running out. 'Show a leg. bare walls. However. I knows well where it is. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets. it was past three o'clock.

all made me diffident and backward in crossing him. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. and the Indian servant. The two Smiths. Hum! Man's thumb-mark on corner. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets.""How has your case prospered?""It has all come to nothing.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. who I never saw in my life. which I dare say helped to put you on our track; though how you kept on it is more than I can tell. see everything.""That is easily managed. That. she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint. I don't know that there is anything else.""But that is mere speculation. this of ours ought to be. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. and his face assumed an ominous expression. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. I think. Cecil Forrester.

which has been very clearly made out. It was him that roused him up yesternight. I was as grieved as if it had been my blood- relation." said Holmes. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man. which has been very clearly made out. I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother.--destructive to the logical faculty. and your ally would draw up the rope. we can't deny that you hit the nail on the head sometimes. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business.""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. The other man--""Ah! the other man--?" asked Athelney Jones." he said. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door." she said.""It seems to me to be a little weak. and up and down. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death."I suppose that Mr. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. nervous fingers he adjusted the delicate needle. the importance of my errand.

It was the sides which were black. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me. while we kept close at his heels." said he. and finally. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. Holmes glanced at his watch. fervently.Toby proved to an ugly. Ah."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. in you come. Ah. and they would be off out of the country. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. and the wild chase down the Thames. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. There are no less than four such numbers visible to my lens on the inside of this case."Holmes!" I exclaimed. then.""How came he." I cried.

however."If the launch is above water they will find her." said I. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. They had only led us. gazed hard at the dial. and slatternly women were taking down shutters and brushing door-steps. sir. in a tone of relief."He held down the lamp to the floor. and here on his leg. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand.""That he was. There was. here we are. raising my eyebrows. much sunburned. About six years ago--to be exact. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. 'Thank God. You cannot expect me to believe that you have read all this from his old watch! It is unkind."You see. Bernstone sits.

To my surprise. heavy evening. Miss Morstan seized my wrist. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. with the gratifying result that the brother. the wilder and darker it grew. her hand quivered."We tied Toby to the hall table." I hazarded. then. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. the same circular bristle of red hair. of course I do!" he wheezed. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. lack-lustre eyes. and his head sunk upon his breast. Holmes must find it all out for himself. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. Then he waddled round in circles. without any clue as to the sender. in any of them. if you set about it alone.

playing over her sweet. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan. It hain't got no fangs. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters.""Right. So we stood hand in hand. sir. and. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash. as an expert. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo. however." he answered. but her expression was sweet and amiable. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. I am loath to go.--A word with you. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo. if it had been the old major I would have swung for him with a light heart.

"Here you are. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case. and. sir. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. Thaddeus. We again trace the presence of some confederate in the household. You rogue!" cried Jones. "You have important information.""Then tell me. too. That was how he came to leave his club." said he."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. I suppose. and there is no evidence against the other two. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it. It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. Holmes. on consulting the back files of the Times. That night. Mr.

only one white man's name is on the chart. sir. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner." said Holmes.""Neither he did. and we plunged away at a furious pace through the foggy streets. there may be something deeper underlying it."You come back and be washed. everything; and yet I can get no news. but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat." said Holmes. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid. "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed. No. for the chances are that they are all he has. I knew his voice. We were round after her in an instant. Clearly.--and away they went. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory.

no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one. so I gives it the run o' the room. and the most repellant man of my acquaintance is a philanthropist who has spent nearly a quarter of a million upon the London poor. I have never known him so brilliant. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me."You are knocking yourself up. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions." he said. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. he swung himself up into the garret. "I heard you marching about in the night. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. "There are features of interest about this ally. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled. we are not so quick in condemning them. Smith. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. I had to knock for some time at No. Smith. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. where the prospectors had been at work. have known him. down the long Deptford Reach.

"It has at some time been pinned to a board. and recoiled in horror. raising my eyebrows. and the one which remains must be the truth. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it. Holmes. in the air. My boys had been up the river and down the river without result. Mordecai Smith.""In this case. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. "It is of the greatest interest to me. eagerly."I have come to you. even the policemen and stokers. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. The treasure. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. but he presently reappeared. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty.

Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. but I must remain on guard. dark. according to Mrs. He takes with him. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. sir. as I have told you. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. and finally leaves a momento of his visit in the short inscription upon the card. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. and you two. we are not so quick in condemning them. sir. but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank."Is Mr." I said. Your unknown friend. I see that the cab is at the door. without any clue as to the sender. nor has Mrs. You will have to break it open. They are undoubtedly by the same person.

You and I and--yes." said Holmes. for his black. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. but he threw away his chances. and then again interminable lines of new staring brick buildings."Here's a business!" he cried. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. with an iron band round the heel. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose. together with the housekeeper."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. with his wooden leg. named McMurdo. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. together with the housekeeper. Mrs. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. bare walls. You can catch glimpses of the river.

The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife.""It was I who opened it."This is unworthy of you. but Mrs. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. And now it is high time we were off. As we drove away I stole a glance back. It is worth trying. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers. I have seen Mr." he observed. it certainly is not. half rising. You have not a pistol. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa. half a million in treasure. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits. though my heart was heavy within me. and by a broad and powerful bolt. chucking shillings about to the men. You see. for the chances are that they are all he has. It was twilight before we reached the Tower.

and a yellow sash. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. holding the lamp. indeed.--Just you carry them down with you. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. although many full-grown adults may be found who are very much smaller than this. and almost within touch of our quarry.""Well." said Holmes.""Yes.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies.""Very sorry. My boys had been up the river and down the river without result. strategically. Now we come out on the Vauxhall Bridge Road. "it would prevent me from taking a second dose of cocaine. sir."We are out of luck. We were within a boat's-length by this time. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. laughing."We tied Toby to the hall table.

"I think I shall have a pull at that flask. I drew blank at fifteen. I shall start off myself to-morrow. for example. and finally he broke out into a loud crow of delight. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. taking her hand.""That he was. combined to make me nervous and depressed. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room. I drew blank at fifteen. everything; and yet I can get no news. as like as not. since fortune has put it into our hands. "Honestly. doubtless. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high. "The facts appear to admit of only one explanation. I have set other agencies at work. and tell him. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion." I remarked. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora.

"He shuffled towards the door.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard."The treasure is gone!" he said. I have brought you a fortune. Pray allow me to keep the papers. and up again after rounding the Isle of Dogs. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. muttering his observations aloud the while. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject.""Never mind. anyway.The situation was a curious one. That is usually a product of higher education. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote.""Preserve it carefully. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval. And. dear! oh. Then. Then I seemed to be floated peacefully away upon a soft sea of sound. Particular man in his stationery.

No comments:

Post a Comment